Light-O-Rama Forums

Doubling the channels on a controller box using jumpers

Gerald Corey

A while back I found a thread about using jumpers to double the capacity of a 16-channel controller box? Can't seem to find it now.

We would like to know what type of a weatherproof box you would put the increased board in once you have all the jumpers added. Where to buy and about how much.

I would also like to see a segment of your programming of such a box using a & b channels.

Hope someone can help! Thanks

Gerald & Rosemary Corey

Thanks for the reply. I think that is where I found it before. Still looking for a copy of someone's programming to see what it looks like. I think we'll be using it for minitrees, arches, and maybe candy canes.

Rosemary Corey

One thing to keep in mind, mechanical relays have a certain life span. I calculated the usage on my display with 2007's programing, the relays would have failed at approximately December 20th, forcing me to purchase replacements to keep on hand. The additional cost was higher than another controller that would last many years.

Yes, you could use SSR's but here again as easy as it is to add another LOR controller to the mix, personally it doesn't make sense to me. And if I had a LOR controller go down, I always have a spare, and it's a quick change out.

K.I.S.S. - my motto - Keep It Simple Stupid..

(just my 2 cents)

I used a parallel port relay board my first year. I reached the max rated contact closures right around Christmas. A few days before New Years I started seeing one channel stick on occasionally.

No problem Jeff. Relay failure concerns (and wanting more channels than the number of data bits on a parallel port) was what drove me to look at other control options. One day I stumbled on LOR’s site and realized there are systems already designed to do all this. My DIY days died about a week later.

I do have to admit I miss the “music” the relays made. I could tell what song was playing by listening to the relay boards :D

Jeff Millard wrote:

Papa-LF wrote:
And if I had a LOR controller go down, I always have a spare, and it's a quick change out.

K.I.S.S. - my motto - Keep It Simple Stupid..

(just my 2 cents)

...and Lowell, Light-O-Rama will repair and/or replace the controller that failed... Who's gonna pay for the worn out relays... I doubt that the relay manufacturer will step up to the plate like our beloved Mr. Baldwin does!!!

Jeff

Got that right Jeff - It just makes good dollars and sense!

I used to have 35 clicking ice cube relays in my yard before LOR. Do not miss them one bit. They were costly, about 15 20 dollars each, not counting the stand.

The theory of doubling or tripling your out puts holds true, if you are already using relays. Did this in two places as I recall. I used ten relays to sort of make 21, had 7 three color trees on the picket fence.

Stick to LOR, or it's equivelent, I have had way less problems than before. Lor really cleans up the hole display, wireing wise that is.

• 1 month later...

Now that we have some of the mechanical basics for doubling, does anyone have a copy of their actual sequence that shows how this happens in programming the show? I hope to double on sets of arches and/or mini-trees so I can change colors. Appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks,

Rosemary