Light-O-Rama Forums

Doubling channel count

rangebob

I'm going to be doubling my controller count from 112 to 224 channels. I need to move channels from one track to another and add the additional info. Adding the channels is the easy part and is going through with no problems since they are just added to the bottom of the track. If I place them somewhere else in the track the new channel will take over the programming that was set for the previous channel. The same is true if I move a channel from one track to another.

Is there an easier way to move the channels around other than make a export and import to place the channels at the end of the tracks and the move individual channels to other tracks.

Thanks

This is something I would like to have as well. My display is different every year but I want to use some the same sequences with my new arrangement. The translation is the same for every song.

I would love it if SE could export the channel changes made from the start.

Example: Uping a chase set to 16 from 8 I want to move down all channels by 8 and all the timings with it to insert 8 in the middle. Export the change instructions...then open the next song apply change instructions to the next sequence.

The way I do it is to put all the new channels on the latest song I did then export channels. then I line up the channels on the song I want to upgrade, I use the channel property grid to check them. you can't move the channels on the grid, you have to use the sequence editor for that. after that, you import the new channels. Its not perfect but it works pretty good. I wish there was aneasier way to just add the new channels to the end of the older song also.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm with everyone on this one. I am going to double for Xmas 2009 as well going from 80 to 160 channels. Some I will add at the bottom of the existing channel list in the sequence and that will be fine. Others I want to move up into the existing sequence/channel scheme. Selecting each channel at a time and using the "Move Up" command is incredibly tedious as you have to do it for each and every song -- and I have 11 now in my show. Being able to Drag and Drop, and/or a command for "Move up X channels", and/or being able to move a group of channels at a time sure would be nice. The point is for Dan and the LOR gang - more of us now are not starting from scratch - we are building on the shows we already have, buying more lights, more LOR boxes, etc. Functionality that is geared to updating, expanding, etc is very important to us -- well at least me.

I'll add my two cents worth of agreement to all I've read in this thread. I'm in the same boat - trying to figure out the easiest way to work around the software limitations when it comes to upgrading this year. The absolute easiest way would be to just add all the new channels at the bottom, for then you could import the new configuration into existing songs without scrambling anything. I've got 34 songs I did for 2008 (which is why I didn't have much spare time in the last twelve months) and having to do it any other way would be a nightmare. I know this issue has been discussed previously and hopefully we'll see software upgrades that make it easier to insert/move/re-arrange/regroup channels in existing sequences.

I also agree on making it easier.

Here is what I do. Adding channels and or rearranging them only has to be done once.

Open ie. WIW08 and add all your new channels to the bottom of track 1. Save it as WIW09. Then "duplicate track" name the track what ever you want. Leave track 1 alone don't do any rearranging of the channels in it. In track 2 rearrange all your channels as you would like. Also go in and make more tracks if you want you mega tree for example to be on its own track. You need to make all the tracks you think you will need for all your sequences.

I currently have 21 tracks in my configuration. My track 1 is called "Master track" it contains ALL my controllers and channels. I do not do any programming or channel rearranging in track 1 "Master track" As far as that goes I don't even do any programming in track 1. All my channels were set up from the beginning to be in order. Controller 1 channel 1 is first and so on.

Now, Save WIW09(01) again and export your 09 channel configuration when you have all the tracks set up and channels in the order that you will need.

VERY IMPORTANT....Track 1 contains all the channels you used in 08 in the order they were used in, in 08. Track 1 also contains the added new controllers/channels to the BOTTOM of your 08 channel line up. ALSO track 2 contains ALL your 08 + 09added channels in the order you want them.

Now. Open one of your 08 sequences (ie.Lil Drummer Boy 08) and import your 09 channel configuration. Do a save as (Lil Drummer Boy 09) When you do this all your 08 programming will line up in track 1. Your new track 2 will have all your 09 channels in the order you want them. You can delete track 1 now if you want, and all your 08 programming will be kept in the track 2, which will become track 1.

This will not work if your 08 sequences were not ALL in the same controller/channel order!!! (track 1 if you used tracks)

This will not work if used tracks in 08 and track 1 does not contain ALL your 08 controllers/channels!!!

If you do not understand this or don't understand tracks you could totally scramble up your 08 programming that you are trying to use in 09!!!

Save as, Save as, Save as!!!!!!!

If your using the same channel arrangment on all your sequences. Then one way you can add channels even in the middle of your channel line up is simple.

Take your first sequences. In the sequences editor, do insert channels before/after when you want to insert your new channels. Once you insert the blank channels you can go to the channel property grid and edit for name, color, controller and channel. When all is set as you wish. The do a save and export.

ON all other sequences, open up the same spaces as you did in the first sequence. Then import and then save.

This will put your channel lineup the same in all your sequences the same.

I know this is a little cumbersome, but this does work for now.

Chuck

cmoore60 wrote:

If your using the same channel arrangment on all your sequences. Then one way you can add channels even in the middle of your channel line up is simple.

Take your first sequences. In the sequences editor, do insert channels before/after when you want to insert your new channels. Once you insert the blank channels you can go to the channel property grid and edit for name, color, controller and channel. When all is set as you wish. The do a save and export.

ON all other sequences, open up the same spaces as you did in the first sequence. Then import and then save.

Chuck

Having to add 112 channels (like the original poster) and adding them all in the correct places for each of your sequences could get very tiring, and would be easy to make mistakes.;)

cmoore60 wrote:

Chuck

Chuck -- thanks for the post I need to give this approach a try. It does seem like it would be much better than the "Add all new channels at the bottom of each sequence and move them up one at a time, one row at a time, to where you want them" approach. I didn't quite understand the earlier post on using tracks but I have not started using tracks yet. At least with 80 channels I didn't find the need to. Maybe with 160 I will.

Scott

Scott Tuthill wrote:

cmoore60 wrote:

Chuck

Chuck -- thanks for the post I need to give this approach a try. It does seem like it would be much better than the "Add all new channels at the bottom of each sequence and move them up one at a time, one row at a time, to where you want them" approach. I didn't quite understand the earlier post on using tracks but I have not started using tracks yet. At least with 80 channels I didn't find the need to. Maybe with 160 I will.

Scott

You could still do it like Chuck suggested and save yourself allot of work by "temporally" adding a track and using it to add your new channels.

Open a 08 sequence and click "edit" then "duplicate track". Name the track what ever you want and check "Duplicate Timings" then click OK.

Then do like Chuck suggested and put your new channels in what ever order you want them. Do all your naming, color, controller, channel assignments.

After all this is done then 'export channel configuration'. Now if you did the above steps, then track 2 will have everything that was in your 08 show plus what you want in your 09 show. In the order you want them.

All your lighting commands you did in 08 will be in their proper channels in your "Track 2". You can now delete "track 1". You are now back to using NO tracks and your 09 channel configuration is set up ready to go.

Now open another one of your 08 sequences you plan to use in 09 and click "edit" then 'Import channel configuration" select the channel configuration that you exported and click OK. You will need to select a row in track one and "copy timing" then "past timing" in 'Track 2". Now all you need to do is delete "track 1" and its ready to go for 09.

There would be no need in adding new blank channels to every sequence.

Tracks can save you allot of time, if you use them.

The very first sentence in Chuck's reply is the most important one whichever method you use to add channels.

btw. Thanks Chuck! I believe I will use your method and the one I described above to add my new channels for 09. I like this idea better than adding them to the bottom them moving them.