Light-O-Rama Forums

What are your favorite Mega Tree colors?

chowell

I am adding a 32 channel, two color mega tree this year. I would like to get some input on everyone's favorite two colors together. Also, would you stack the colors on top of each other, or put one strand next to the other?

Thanks.
Corey

I vote for Clear ,Green and Red as well, with 32 channels I would do 16 of clears and 8 each of green and red using the up and over method.

The past 2 years I kept all my strings seperate, it makes repairing sections that go out much easier and I like the way it looks, but it does take a lot of time to zip tie all 192 strings to the bottom ring with 3" spacing. This year I may try bundling 3 strings together.

Attached files 170523=9783-DSC04039.JPG

Tim, what is the up and over method? Just continuing a string up and over the top so that the same channel is in front and back?

Thanks for your input.
Corey

bhays wrote:

That's a neat idea with your controller rack in the center... any closeup pictures of it? I noticed the bottom ring seems to have some legs of some sort...is it a trampoline frame?

Hi Brett,

Yes the bottom ring it indeed a 16' diameter trampoline frame with a 33' tall fiberglass flagpole. The frame is tied down with 8, 30" auger type ground anchors and the blue tie down straps. On very windy days the whole frame will float slightly.

Here are some pics of the controller rack and the rest of the Mega Tree.

Attached files 170552=9787-DSC04031.JPG

Corey

I have a Z tree - you'll see it in my video - I had 23 channels in it in 07 and less in 08 - I have Red / Green / Gold this year (08) (sorry no video this year) - and the gold was fantastic! Red / Green / Blue / Clear - in 07.

I like my Z tree - it's work to put up and store, but it has a fantastic visual effect.

Have a look -

http://www.papasplace.us/video/2007HolidayLightSpectacularMQ.wmv

(I just reloaded my server - if the video doesn't open - someone let me know).

Happy sailing

We used clear, gold, and red this year and I have to say that the clear and red looked wonderful together. We still have a 12' 4800 light tree up in our side yard and if we go out at night we put on clear and red to come home to. ;) That's the only thing left to take down but it's not in the way over there and the whole family likes it still being up.

-Jeff

chowell wrote:

Tim, what is the up and over method? Just continuing a string up and over the top so that the same channel is in front and back?

Thanks for your input.
Corey

Hi Corey,

Yes that is it exactly, with 16 channels of clear you can still do the "search light" or "stirring" effect and still have enough channels for 2 more colors and be able to spin and sweep with those.

Then there is maybe consideration for a multi channel star and maybe strobes if you have extra channels from another controller, or possibly the star could be connected to several channels of the clears

Tim

Jeff Millard wrote:

That's a real nice tree you have there Tim! It's huge! I really like the spacing of lights. It looks like that spacing is perfect. The way you hang the lights in the center is similar to the way I do mine. Mine always ends up being a rat's nest though... Really good design.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the compliment ,but the pic seems to make it more tidy than it really is.

I would describe it as a rats nest, trying to find the right plug for a string of lights that have a section out, so I can plug in the buzz box, always is a bit of a challenge.

Tim