Light-O-Rama Forums

Multi color mini lights sequencer strngs

sjmiller

I have 5 sets of mini light strings that came with a 3 channel programmed controller, select options 1 through 16 for the flashing sequence. All ot them have one or two colors strands that no longer work - and I assume it's the controller because I have tested every bulb in each strand.

Can I just cut the controller off and add plugs to the strands so I can put them on LOR channels?

SJ

Would like to say yes to lopping off the controller, but do not know how the LOR board will like having three channels using the same common wire. Used to do this very same thing, when I used PLC's to control the lights.

How did you test all the lights?

Paul C wrote:

By getting a six pack of Bud, popping the top on one - take a sip. Then removing each and every bulb from the non-functional string and plugging it into a socket on the working string - taking an occasional sip of beer.

The bulbs were all good, the controller must be bad.

As for the LOR controller, all grounds are tied to a common ground bus for the circuit board - so as long as I don't bridge the lights between two controller boards it shouldn't be an issue (no ground loops).

SJ

Do you have a volt meter? if so you might check the output of the controller on the suspect legs. Though your probably right, after all that work the controller should be cut off to make way for some LOR anyway.

after the first sip of beer i skipped to the 2nd sip...lights dont work yet...am i missing something? ;)

sjmiller wrote:

Paul C wrote:

By getting a six pack of Bud, popping the top on one - take a sip. Then removing each and every bulb from the non-functional string and plugging it into a socket on the working string - taking an occasional sip of beer.

The bulbs were all good, the controller must be bad.

As for the LOR controller, all grounds are tied to a common ground bus for the circuit board - so as long as I don't bridge the lights between two controller boards it shouldn't be an issue (no ground loops).

SJ

I have done exactly what you have proposed and had

zero(0) issues with the lights and one(1) common.

Frank A.:P

• 3 weeks later...

My experience with four channel chaser strings. One or two circuits not working, the vast majority of the time it was the string that was bad, not the controller. I saved my controllers from bad strings used a six pin harness connector(five wires) and was able to interchange the chaser boxes with other strings and later to a small digital light controller. Also are these bulbs or LED's? My old strings were all bulbs and these would have worked with LOR.

• 2 weeks later...

I removed the unit on over 50 sets. I put a plug on each of the 4 colors. You should have 5 wires for a 4 color and 4 wires for a 3 color, one wire is the nutral or return. The input (110 to 115 ac) is usualy on the left hand side of the unit, it will have the plug on it. I got several fused plugs from bad sets of lights and used them and when I ran out I used an inline fuse holder, about 29 cents when ordered by the gross and put them in line, both nutral and hot and used a .25 amp fuse. Not had any trouble with them at all. I now have 50 sets with 4 plugs on them that are different colors. roger

Great tip Roger! I'm kind of a pack rat and have a large box of old light strings that died, for awhile I removed all of the bulbs then I tossed the bad string. That turned into to much work so I started keeping the full string to salvage bulbs if needed. Now I have the bad strings to re use the fused plugs for the conversion!

I found the fuse holders at Allied (alliedelec.com) for 19 cents each. They work great, just look under fuse holders. roger

sjmiller wrote:

Great tip Roger! I'm kind of a pack rat and have a large box of old light strings that died, for awhile I removed all of the bulbs then I tossed the bad string. That turned into to much work so I started keeping the full string to salvage bulbs if needed. Now I have the bad strings to re use the fused plugs for the conversion!

Just another tip. I take the old sets and strip off the common wire. You will then have a nice length of 22g that can be used for light ext cords, arches, ect. I know, ext cords???? just when you need to connect one string to another without lights in between. Reduces the need for black out caps.

I was planning on the 'chase' for the roof line using a 3 / 4 channels and the same light strands. Sometimes the controllers that come with the strand will not hold memory, thus different pattern each time powered up.