Light-O-Rama Forums

Different Light Brands

CLD Kevin

Because of the limited quantity of lights on hand for the after Christmas sales, I bought lights from 3 different stores...Walmart, Target and ACE. All 3 are different brands. I plug in all 3 just for piece of mind that they worked and the colors will match. Especially the reds because I've seem them in a reddish-pinkish color before. They all look alike, but the Target brand Phillips is just a tad bit dimmer. Phillips box showed they were 40% energy efficient and included the amp/watt ratings which is 0.2A or 24-watts. I guess that why it also shows that you can connect 8 strings unlike Walmart which is 3 and ACE is 4. Those don't show the amps on those boxes, but I'm guessing Walmart is somewhere around 0.34A and ACE just a little lower.

I guess my question is because the Phillips brand is slightly dimmer, did anyone have the problem that they needed to double up on them to match the brightness? I didn't see much of a difference in green, but red was more noticeable.

I personally do not pay attention to the amperage when buying mini's, but you are correct that they can have different amperage ratings (Check the physical string at the plug, look for the power rating tag), within a season or two you will have faded bulbs mixed with new bulbs, so you when never really notice, additionally you could always place the energy savers in a different location away from the others.

The only time I pay attention to the amperage is when I calculate my channel loads.

Get'em while the gett'ens good, otherwise your going to have to wait another year for the sales.

Be carefull with the WALLMART Blue lights... they will look nothing like the others...

I used 4 strings of Walmart lights on my megatree when I ran out, and what a mistake it was.. you could see very easily which strings they were...

Never again... will I buy the Wallmart blue lights.