Light-O-Rama Forums

Expanding for next year questionc on contollers

LENNY RUEL

Well, with starting this past year I bought the package deal on this past summers sale. The controller is the LOR1602W of course. My questions are: To save money is the PC-CTB16PC-Complete pretty much the same contoller in a little different box?

The LOR 1602W costs $329.95 while the PC-CTB16PC-Complete is $205.

I know I have to connect the wires and put the strain relief together but other than that it works the exact same way? I run off a computer and I know you just connect them all in a chain with the CAT5e cable right off the 1602W I bought last year coreect?

Also, do you remember IF the kits where also included in the sale last year and about how much off they where?

I went and ordered wire, plugs, and strobes from CDI and when I told the wife she wants to see a list of what I'm getting and the approxiamte cost of it. I told her everything, including adding three more contollers wouldn't cost $1000 but she wants to see it.

My CDI stuff was just under $300, My C9 sockets $12 for 50, I have to order a 3-D star topper kit for my mega tree that I think is like $80. So with three CTB16PC I should be right there. Of course I have the Pvc, pipe and other small items trough out the summer to build the arches and mega tree but that isn't a huge expense. She just wants to see the cost of stuff I just can't go to the hardware store or Menards for. Thanks for the help again.

Lenny

The PC board functions the same as the showtime except for the ability to run stand a lone (which is not a concern for you). The set up is a little different as you have to connect it (by itself) to your computer to assign the unit number via the hardware utility.

Dave:
Then once you assign the unit number directly off your computer you just mount it ouside next to the 1602W and connect them together with the CAT5e, then one next to that one with a CAT5e between those two and so on? If I mount the 4th one right on the mega tree then I'll need to run besides the power a CAT5e there as well?
Easy enough I guess. Thanks again.

Lenny

PS. Remember if these are on the sale also in summer?

You got it. Check monoprice.com for good prices on cat 5. Some people use telephone line and some have had bad luck with telephone line.

You don't need to set these up in order. All commands go to all controllers. The controller will only listen to those commands assigned to it.

Yes, the PC kits have been part of the summer sale for the past couple of years.

Thanks Dave:
I actually have a great source for CAT5e. My wife works at Wisconsin Wireless Communications and when I found out the 25' that came with the package was too short she had them make me up a 50'. They told her not to worry about the cost, it wasn't enough to worry about. I'll only need a couple of 3' to go between the three boxes side by side and another 50' to get me over the driveway to the mega tree and that last box. They are tan and not that perty green LOR uses, but the cost is right.

Lenny

Now all I need to do is learn how to shoot video that matches the quality of my still shots !! ':(