Light-O-Rama Forums

Windows 7 Beta

kr2828

What??? A Windows version without bugs crawling out from every application? What's this world coming to????

I am a Mac user normally, but use Vista for the show. When is Windows 7 slated for release, or have they not figured that out yet?

Ponddude wrote:

I am a Mac user normally, but use Vista for the show. When is Windows 7 slated for release, or have they not figured that out yet?

I'm a Mac user too, but I hear that Windows 7 was slated for the end of 2009.

I wouldn't run anything more than XP on my LOR Show. I know it works and it's all been tested but, Vista is just such a resource pig...

Just my 2 Cents worth.

-Evan

• 1 month later...

I'm running Windows 7 fulltime on my Laptop and love it. LOR 2.1.6 works fine without any know issues(so far). I still run XP on my show machine and probably will for years. Plus I'm still using tons of x10 to control every outlet at the panel and nobody does a good job with drivers for that...

Rich

I'm also a Mac person but I have to say Microsoft may actually get this one right. Don't get me wrong it's not OSX but it's a LOT better then Vista.

In fact I'm having far less issues with Windows 7 then I had with XP. All of my strange refresh and playback issues went away.

• 3 weeks later...

No problems with Win 7 beta. Of course Win 7 is a stripped down version. They NEVER put everything in a beta version.

ALL of my computers love Win 7, and I have never had problems with Vista. But after I create my shows I run them on an old HP desktop with win 2000 loacted out in my garage.

I heard that Windows 7 is purely Vista, minus the bugs and with a face lift. If that is the case, I'm sure the bugs will be added after the Beta.:)

Actually Win 7 is not remotley the same OS as Vista other than the name starts with Windows. Much better, less resources, faster, does not crash ( but none of my Vista machines crash either, anI love Vista too) it is what Vista should have been. One of my laptops hates Vista, but it loves WIn7. I will get it when it is released. The Beta is fine, but there are a lot of normal windows programs not included on beta releases.
I had to download and install several of the regular windows programs from Microsoft. Also it did not come with any email client. I had to install one.

Bubba in NV wrote:

Actually Win 7 is not remotley the same OS as Vista other than the name starts with Windows. Much better, less resources, faster, does not crash ( but none of my Vista machines crash either, anI love Vista too) it is what Vista should have been. One of my laptops hates Vista, but it loves WIn7. I will get it when it is released. The Beta is fine, but there are a lot of normal windows programs not included on beta releases.
I had to download and install several of the regular windows programs from Microsoft. Also it did not come with any email client. I had to install one.

What is the minimum requirement for a computer to run Windows 7?

richarsenault wrote:

I'm running Windows 7 fulltime on my Laptop and love it.
What kind of laptop? I tried 7 on a compac with a 2.6mhz pentium, with 2 gigs, and had nothing but problems. Could not get any video or sound drivers to work. Went back to vista after 3 days...boy what a long weekend that was.

Dennis Cherry wrote:

Bubba in NV wrote:

What is the minimum requirement for a computer to run Windows 7?

Its about the same requirements that vista had when it came out...

Other than the ram, which vista home basic said it could run on 512mb of ram but that was a joke. all other vista versions needed 1gb ram.
Also the HD space requirement went down from 20gb to 16gb, only to support the older SSD flash Hard drives that are only 16gb. (This helps many net books.)

Really if you consider the fact that the requirements are the same as vista which came out, and all the advances over the last three years.
Any computer purchased in the year ~2001 or later, with a ram upgrade should be able to run things just fine.
All computers (that are not netbooks) available in stores today, will run windows 7)(some might need ram.)

Windows 7 Beta recommendation:
  • 1 GHz 32-bit or 64-bit processor
  • 1 GB of system memory
  • 16 GB of available disk space
  • Support for DirectX 9 graphics with 128 MB memory (to enable the Aero theme)
  • DVD-R/W Drive
  • Internet access