Light-O-Rama Forums

Need help converting video file

LENNY RUEL

Does someone know how to convert .ifo or .vob files to .wmv files? We have a HI8 camcorder that we took to a camera place to have it downloaded to a dvd. We did this so we could post our videos hopefully for the contest. Unfortunately, the files are in .ifo or .vob format, and we cannot find a converter (free) that will change the format to be able to view the video through media player or movie maker.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Lenny Ruel

Hi Lenny. I'm used to doing this with editing software, some of which import the VOB files directly for editing. Unfortunately these are about $100 each and I can't remember off hand if it's Pinnacle, Cyberlink or Premiere that make this the easiest.

But here's a trick that might work fior you: rename the VOB file to be MPG file extensions. That's all VOBs really are. IFO files are just Informational without real video content.

If that doesn't work for you the Google: video + conversion + open + source

I'm pretty sure I've seen something out there but have no experience with using any of them.

Gary, I downloaded this player but I can't figure out how to convert the files. Can you give me some insight?? We have the files on a disk yet, but I can transfer them to my desktop if it is easier. Just not sure what to do. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Lenny

LENNY RUEL wrote:

Gary, I downloaded this player but I can't figure out how to convert the files. Can you give me some insight?? We have the files on a disk yet, but I can transfer them to my desktop if it is easier. Just not sure what to do. Any help is appreciated.

Thank you,

Lenny

Sure. Open VLC, click on Media -> Convert/Save, Find the file you want to convert, then click Convert/Save. For output, select File and give it a filename. Select the format you want to save it as and go from there.

I use a software called Super C, I think you will find that both video help links listed in this post will talk about Super C. And it's free.
Another good site is afterdawn.com

OK, let me see if I can clarify this a little better. I was able to download several different converters which were "free". Unfortunately, unless you buy the entire package, it puts a watermark on your file. This would be un-usable for my submission for the lighting contest.

I was able to get the vlc program to actually convert my files but I am still unable to view them using media player. They are in a wmv format now, but still says I am unable to play. I thought I had all the settings correct, with the exception of maybe the audio (I checked it as "MP", when it actually is off the recording). So, other than that issue, I am not sure why this is still not able to play on media player.

If anyone has any further suggestions, I would appreciate them. I am also willing to send the file to someone if they can convert it and send it back in working order (via media player). At this point I am frustrated and confused.

Thank you all.

Lenny

I had the same issue with watermarks. Super-C does not have them; their top-of-the-line product is free. However, there is a similar product called Super C Video Converter that isn't free; it's a totally different package by someone else. The free one has the C looking like a copyright mark.

You can get it here http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

- Jack

LENNY RUEL wrote:

I was able to get the vlc program to actually convert my files but I am still unable to view them using media player. They are in a wmv format now, but still says I am unable to play. I thought I had all the settings correct, with the exception of maybe the audio (I checked it as "MP", when it actually is off the recording). So, other than that issue, I am not sure why this is still not able to play on media player.

Can you see the video when you play it in VLC?

Gary, no I am not able to see it in vlc either. I am just really frustrated at this point. I am not technically skilled on computer stuff, but this didn't seem like it would be this difficult. Any ideas???

I am trying to download that Super C right now. I tried earlier and ended up with a different one altogether. Ughh...

Lenny Ruel

Hi Jack. I installed Super C and it WORKED!!!!! Thank you so much for your suggestion. Now, I have a new question. How do I cut out just the part of the video I want to submit for the contest? I only want to submit 1 show...I know the start and stop times on the video, so if you know of a way to do this, I sure would appreciate it. I am grateful this program worked for me!

Thanks again to all for your suggestions and help in getting this done!!

Lenny Ruel

LENNY RUEL wrote:

Gary, no I am not able to see it in vlc either. I am just really frustrated at this point. I am not technically skilled on computer stuff, but this didn't seem like it would be this difficult. Any ideas???

I am trying to download that Super C right now. I tried earlier and ended up with a different one altogether. Ughh...

Lenny Ruel

Copnvert it again and try different settings.

Hi Jack. I installed Super C and it WORKED!!!!! Thank you so much for your suggestion. Now, I have a new question. How do I cut out just the part of the video I want to submit for the contest? I only want to submit 1 show...I know the start and stop times on the video, so if you know of a way to do this, I sure would appreciate it. I am grateful this program worked for me!

Lenny -

I used a program that came with my cheapo web cam that would cut video streams up into pieces, then used SuperC to convert the results. I believe Windows MovieMaker will let you chop up your videos to show only what you want, then SuperC can convert them from a .wmv to .flv or whatever format you want. Once you have it in flash, you can use the same coding that YouTube (and others) use to embed your videos into web pages.

Keep in mind that SuperC can also resize your videos for you. I wouldn't recommend trying to make them larger, as the results pixelate badly, but if you start at the highest quality resolution, you can always go to a smaller resolution for smaller files/quicker transfer times.

- Jack