Light-O-Rama Forums

Help to subsequence over musical sequence

Kim Hatfield

Hey Everyone,

You all really came together and got me going. Now i am like a steamroller and just want to learn and do more. I am not sure how to explain this but let me try:

Say i have my main beat tapped out on the wizard. But in the song there are random bells or subbeats that i would like to animated in my musical sequence. How do you add in those beats?

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks,

Kim

What I do is use the tapper wizard and assign each rythym, instrument, etc, it's own "draft" channel.

What it means is that I do the tapper wizard about 5-10 times (depending on song), then go back and set the taps exactly where I want them, then finish the song without having to listen to it 1000 times.

To do this, I preset my timing intervals at 0.05 seconds and go to town with it.

Now with S-2, you could do without having to preset the intervals at 0.05 seconds and just run each "draft" as it's own track.

Just looking for different opinions to see which would be the easiest for me as a beginner to get the hang of this.

Do you go through the first initial song with the tapper wizard to se the main beat then go back and modify the channels you want to do differently or you have to program each one seperately from the start?

This may be a bit more than i can do on my first year with LOR.....

Thanks!!!!!!

Kim

go to lorsequences.com, they have a tutorial there on the tapper wizard, download it in high quality (129Mb), and then you can watch it at your leasure. As a newbie myself, it's pretty good info, and should help.

I agree, the tutorial is a great place to start. The time you take to watch it will save you time down the road.

As for the tapper wizard, it's a great tool to add different on/off beats to different channels. I use the beat wizard to get my initial beat of the song, I never use the tapper wizard for that. A lot of people use the VU Wizard heavily on different channels for different sections of the song. I've used it a lot on my chaser trees, it's a quick way to get some great effects.

All of these wizards can be set up to work on the entire song or just a small section of the song. Sometimes it's a good idea to create a new channel and have the wizard place the timing event into that new channel before you decide if you want it to go into your setup or not. You can always delete the new channel if you want.

How many channels are you working with?

Hey Amie,

16 channels. I am a brand new newbie. this is all so confusing. Maybe i need to watch all these tutorials to see if will knock some of the cobbwebs out of my head. LOL!

Thanks for the advice and i will read up on the VU also.

Dont know anything at all about it.

Kim

Kim, I'd be glad to send you a few sequences that you can look at and use if you like. My 16 channel ones are pretty simple since the wizards weren't available in the software that year. But I can send you a couple of my 48 channel ones as well to give you an idea of how the VU stuff can work to your benefit. If interested, just pm me your email address.

• 2 weeks later...

here is how I do it:

1] I run the automatic beat wizard on the song to lay down the main beat... I put this in my main track which has all the channels of the display in it... this will be my once per beat track...

2] I will create a new "track" for each random, bell, jingle, or other little effect i hear inside of a song that I want to create an event for... I will usually have an idea of what lights i want to use for this effect so i will only put those channels into the track for that effect.... I will then run the tapper wizard on that track and tap out ONLY those effects and nothing more...

3] I will often then create new tracks using the beat wizard where I have it insert an event timing in at say 2x ,4x, 8x.. this way I can get some pretty fast moving sequences yet always still be on beat....

4] if I later hear another "effect" in a song as I play it I can add another track, run the tapper wizard and tap out ONLY those parts i want and drag only the channels I will use for that effect into it...

-Christopher