Light-O-Rama Forums

spiral mega tree?

dakotasbub

meaning verticle strands but rotate the bottom ring so the strands spiral down and use the channels as usual but i thought the effect would be cooler. i was thinking that you would have to put something to space the strands away from the pole so they wouldn't wrap in to the pole.

Check out the videos on my sight. The ones from New Years Eve were done pretty quick and only have three different patterns per song but I think you might enjoy it. The Sweet Home Alabama song has an interesting pattern.

thanks robin i do like the way that looks but that must use an obscene number of channels lol. but that spiral effect does look neat. i think i will have to try a few things to obtain that look when i start building.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Robin, it looks great. Thats exactly what I was thinking about it. Funny how most of you on here are so far ahead of the game. I guess thats why I enjoy coming to this board some much. So much knowledge so little time and money ;)

Thanks you.

The tree has 96 sections with a total of 105 channels. There are 19,600 lights not counting the strobes. There must be a thousand different patterns with this set up and it is fun just to think of them.

UMM OMG! That is freakin awesome. I can only imagine how long it took you to make that monster!!! Let alone sequence it.
Crazy...and well done!

-Evan

My father is working on a spiral megatree ... that physically is built as a series of spiral strung wires ... instead of purely vertical strings.

There will be no PVC parts in the frame.

I haven't been a huge fan of the idea, but he insists it will be amazing.

He enjoys doing things that are technically very difficult.

I sometimes wonder if it won't be a "one trick pony" ...

It should not be to difficult to achieve that effect with the spiral. Mine can do a little more than just that although that is one of the neat things it can do. Honestly, though the spiral is not much different than just spinning but a bit crooked. :)

Robin, your display is amazing.

Do you think if each spiral went around the tree say 2-3 times ... would it essentially just look like twisting tree?

I noticed when you spun around the tree that maybe the top was perhaps 1/4 to 1/2 of the way ahead of where the bottom was. My fear is that if each strand goes all the way around the tree a couple times ... then it takes on a look of a 3d tree ... and you can't get the same effect when spinning around.