Light-O-Rama Forums

Cheapest SPT2 wire on spools?

stanward

You may want to check locally (Lowes, HD, etc). Wire is heavy and expensive to ship. The price of copper has fallen through the floor. You would think we would see some that.

cvlrs2000 wrote:

I went lowes yesterday and asked for spt 2 and the guys had no idea. what does this look like???

The key word for Lowe's (& Home Depot) - Lamp Cord. Typically in the ball park of ~$50 for ~250 feet

Harrison

If you are going to buy locally, you might want to wait until this summer. With the crash of copper prices, wire prices should start to come down.

stanward wrote:

I am looking for the cheapest SPT2 wire on spools. Is Action Lighting the cheapest?

I purchased 7,000' of SPT-2 from Americord and with shipping of a single 285lb spool the cost per foot came out to .13.

You have to call them to get the bulk pricing. I did not have any problems with placing the order at all. The spool was delivered by freight carrier and was contacted from them with a time that it was going to be delivered. They placed the pallet and spool in my garage with no problems.

• 3 weeks later...

Americord SPT-2

I got a quote for 2000' at $0.10/foot. Not including shipping.

ShawnT wrote:

stanward wrote:
I am looking for the cheapest SPT2 wire on spools. Is Action Lighting the cheapest?

I purchased 7,000' of SPT-2 from Americord and with shipping of a single 285lb spool the cost per foot came out to .13.

You have to call them to get the bulk pricing. I did not have any problems with placing the order at all. The spool was delivered by freight carrier and was contacted from them with a time that it was going to be delivered. They placed the pallet and spool in my garage with no problems.

How big are these"rolls?" Must be 100' or so?

*go Cardinals!*

djrljr wrote:

Lowes in Orange Park, FL had 3 rolls of white SPT-2 clearanced for $27.

• 3 weeks later...

i have been buying 100' orange extension cords at menards for $12.99 everyday - they are outdoor types as well. then i get empty wooden spools and wrap 10x100' per spool. best buy and easy storage. :)

Jeff Millard wrote:

Shared neutral cables are a big money saver as long as you make sure you polarize the plugs you connect to the controller.

I use Molex connectors to connect all my shared neutral cables to the controllers.

Advantages: No chance of shorting by incorrect plugging; No chance of dangerous "live" neutral plugs if hot and neutral on controller power supply is reversed; Less bulky; Less confusing setup.

Disadvantages: Very difficult to swap controllers or channels; Testing with spare light string is difficult.

I bought mine at HD's Initially I bought 250 ft and went through it like water the next spool I bought was 500 ft and used every inch of that. funny thing, the 500 ft spool was only a few dollars more than the 250. Lesson Learned, buy in bulk!