Light-O-Rama Forums

Need More Amps

tyler9613

I am new to lor, but have done a lot of research and have designed 2 seqences with the demo (i can use those once i buy the real software, right?). I would like to know, if I need more than 8 ams per channel, 15 per side, or 30 total, do I have to buy another controller? I am only using 6 channels (alot per channel), so if i can avoid having to buy another controller, that would be great.

tyler

tyler9613 wrote:

I am new to lor, but have done a lot of research and have designed 2 seqences with the demo (i can use those once i buy the real software, right?). I would like to know, if I need more than 8 ams per channel, 15 per side, or 30 total, do I have to buy another controller? I am only using 6 channels (alot per channel), so if i can avoid having to buy another controller, that would be great.

tyler

If it is going to be over 30amps then the answer is yes, you will have to get another controller. I am sure someone will chim in here and say to use relay switches, but they will have to explain that. I know nothing about them.

If your not over 30amps you may be able to use all 16 channels and lets say you have 12amps on channel 1. You could leave 6amps on channel one and move the other 6amps to channel 7 for example and make the the programming the same on channel 1 and 7. This could help spread the load.

EDIT. Yes your sequences done with the demo version will work in the full version.

Paul Roberson wrote:

If it is going to be over 30amps then the answer is yes, you will have to get another controller. I am sure someone will chim in here and say to use relay switches, but they will have to explain that. I know nothing about them.

If your not over 30amps you may be able to use all 16 channels and lets say you have 12amps on channel 1. You could leave 6amps on channel one and move the other 6amps to channel 7 for example and make the the programming the same on channel 1 and 7. This could help spread the load.

EDIT. Yes your sequences done with the demo version will work in the full version.

Thanks. This makes it a little easier to understand. I have done a little more planning (already for 09) and have decided that i am not going to use more than 5000 lights, except for my mega tree, which will be on another controller. It seams kindof small, but i have a small front yard. Does anyone else know how i can get a street light to turn off? I have one right by my house, and It is very bright. do i just call the city? also, do i need a permit to shut down a street for my event? It is not a through street and it doesn't lead anywhere...

The street light has a sensor on top and will go off if the sun comes up.
You just need to make the sun come up when you want! A laser pointer carefully aimed at the sensor should shut it off as long as the laser is on. Also you could get a lift and put a nightlight that is on a LOR channel to turn it off. How about a pole that has a nightlight on the end that you can stand up next tho the sensor?

The street light is probably a good idea to have on when your display is off for security reasons. So, figure out a way to turn it on and off yourself without the city getting involved;)

• 2 weeks later...

tyler9613 wrote:

tyler

LOR has some controllers which can be modified to 20 amps per side (requires 20 amp power cords and plugs, as well as upping the fuses to 20 amps). Of course, you must have the pairs of 20 amp circuits available to plug the controllers into.