Light-O-Rama Forums

Movng up to LOR for 2009

sjmiller

I have been getting compliments with my static display of apporx. 5,000 mini lights, 9 reindeer and Santa for the last five or six years - and for the last three or so years have been visiting the LOR site thinking "I'm going to do this." This year I was at Costco and saw/bought the GE Mr. Christmas 6 channel light controller (40 song/light music sequences) - I am hooked! But I was blowing fuses and had to disconnect some light strings from the controller and make them static.

I have a small front yard (reindeer & Santa are on the roof), live Christmas tree in the front yard.

I want to avoid stupid mistakes starting out - you experienced forum members have "been there - done that".

I have a 240 VAC circuit set up for my TIG welder, I can break that out to two 20 amp 120 vac circuits for a 16 channel controller.

According to the specs for the CTB-16D I should be able to run a maximum load for each channel?

I see the value of animation sequencing - but really prefer music synchronization - is there a site where people share their programming sequences?

I have viewed most of the LOR Quick Start Guides, Training Presentations, and Flash Tutorials.

Is it worth it to get the Holidaysoft program in addition to the LOR software?

Any and all tips will be appreciated.

Steve

I've been thinking the same things myself to a point....looked at the holiday soft program but not able to run it as I only using the demo software for now till I buy my starter pack, but have done a few sequences just on the demo which will transfer to the full version when I get it, in the demo you can set up the animations visually to your desire to replicate where and what lights you have on your house....have you tried the demo yet? if not give it a go and take it from there.

Regards
Robbo

sjmiller wrote:

I see the value of animation sequencing - but really prefer music synchronization - is there a site where people share their programming sequences? www.lorsequences.com

I have viewed most of the LOR Quick Start Guides, Training Presentations, and Flash Tutorials.

Is it worth it to get the Holidaysoft program in addition to the LOR software? If you take the time to set up your animation window in LOR I personally do not think the additional program is worth it just to have a screen show you what the lights SHOULD be doing. I have read several post about Holidaysoft lagging and also getting it set up. The question is do you want additional headaches?

Any and all tips will be appreciated.

Steve

Chuck

I have a 240 VAC circuit set up for my TIG welder, I can break that out to two 20 amp 120 vac circuits for a 16 channel controller.

Is your 240 4 wire or 3 (plus ground)? If it's 3 wire then the circuit has a shared neutral. If you split into two legs, the shared neutral would have to handle the entire electrical load. If it's 4 wire, no worries.

According to the specs for the CTB-16D I should be able to run a maximum load for each channel?

The maximum load for each channel is 8 amps. The maximum load per side is 20 amps. So, you could run 2 channels at 8 amps and the other 6 at .666, or all 8 at 2.5 or anything in between.

Is it worth it to get the Holidaysoft program in addition to the LOR software?

Worth is an individual decision. IMO, the visualizer in LOR is more than adequate for my display. If it were larger and more complex, I might consider the Holidaysoft program. I have heard it is resource intensive.

Welcome to the board!

I purchased the HOLIDAY LIGHT SOFTWARE. I set it up and put all my lights. When i ran it it ran behind. Every time I opened it it took forever to load. I am using the LOR animation and am very happy you don't need the other software. Just upload a picture of you house and slowly and neatly draw everyting in. I think the drawing I did was a great resomblance of my display. When anyone look at it theay can tell wahat exactly everthing is.

You can go to www.lorsequences.com to get sequences. Also go into the sequence forum and post what you are looking for. Lots of people will share with you. Look at my song list on my web page to see if you want any of these and send me an e-mail through there and i will send it to you.

Good Luck and welcome to the club.
DOn C.