Light-O-Rama Forums

Inputs don't seem to be working properly

brianfox

I have a network of CTB16PCs.

I just got 2 each today of the CTB16 input connectors and PIR motion detectors - all from LOR.

My goal is to connect PIR detectors to two CTBs that are on opposite sides of the yard, and trigger a unique set of lights for each when one trips. This is being done for security.

Here is what I did for each input connector board/PIR pair:

1) For one CTB: Removed the jumper that is normally on J2 to the J2 header on the input connector board.

2) Used a CAT5 cable to connect the PIR to the input connector board as follows:

Conductor 1: PIR Leftmost screwpost (I'll call it #1) to Input Board "A2"

Conductor 2: PIR screwpost #2 to Input Board "G"

Conductor 3: PIR screwpost #3 (12V +) to Input Board "+9"

Conductor 4: PIR screwpost #4 (12V -) to Input Board "G"

3) Plugged input connector into CTB16PC

4) Created Animation sequence 5 seconds long that lights a set of lights at 100% for 5 seconds. No loop.

5) Used show editor to make a show that does a "Magic Toy" interactive sequence. Triggers on the proper CTB unit, Input 2.

6) Used Scheduler Editor to make show run.

I did the same steps for the other sensor, connecting it to Input 2 on a totally different unit. I created a different sequence to handle a different set of lights for that sensor, and a diferent Magic Toy interactive sequence.

Here is what I'm seeing: Animation sequence seems to trigger by itself, when there's no movement. Comes on for 5 seconds, then turns off for a couple of seconds, then comes back on for 5...repeat. Now, here's the strange thing: if I stand in front of the sensor and wave my arms, the sequence STOPS. So it looks like something is looking for a Normally Open to trigger the sequence instead of a Normally Closed.

One more thing: when the sequence comes on, the red LED in the sensor is off. When the I wave my arms for a few seconds, the red LED comes on and the sequence ends.

The other thing that I'm wondering: if the sensor has triggered lights in the line of sight, could that cause the sequence to re-trigger?

Any help would be appreciated.

Unfortunately the current version of the Input code in the controllers expects a normally open (NO) switch (most common). The motion detector has a normally closed (NC) switch so things are working backwards.

Next year we will have new firmware for the controllers that will allow you to specify on a per-input basis if the switch used is NO or NC but that firmware is not currently available.

The person who writes the firmware for the AC light controllers is on vacation and I am currently out of town and do not have access to any LOR equipment for testing. However I made a change to the CTB16PC firmware (attached) such that Input2 is for a NC switch and Input3 is for a NO switch. The way you have things wired into Input2, this firmware should work with the motion detector.

Disclaimer: I did not have anyone to test the input change made but the firmware was loaded into a CTB16PC and it appears to work okay as far as controlling lights, etc...

Attached files CTB16PC_Firmware_NC-Input2.zip

• 5 weeks later...