Light-O-Rama Forums

Thanks guys. (You created a monster)

Panteradon

I bought my first light-o-rama unit during the summer sale and spent a lot of time working on sequences. I could not get anyone in the family interested.

That changed after I put up our lights and started the show. Now, everyone is excited.

We started this year with 16 small trees, the yard eadged in big lights, a wreath on the front door, Garland around the front door and eight windows with lights all the way around them.

Since Christmas my wife and I have added a snowman, three lighted gift boxes, three large snow flakes, a large star, a whole bunch of extension cords, two ten foot trees, 2100 chaser lights, and 13000 other lights.

Looks like next year will be bigger and better with the help of my wife and kids.

Thanks

Don

PS - This years show ran flawlessly and only blew the GFI circuits a couple of time.

Same here, bought 1 16 channel unit during the summer sale, quickly realized that 16 was not enough, bought a second 16 channels. I will be purchasing 2 more 16 channel units for next year, and even that may not be enough!

I set up the lights, and program the songs, my wife keeps adding the little touches, like light up bows, stars and snowflakes.

DanCampbell wrote:

Studies have shown that this hobby is more addictive than nicotine. Sure am glad it makes others smile!

same with drinking, I seem to go thru a sequence faster when I had a few bubbliles.

evana wrote:

same with drinking, I seem to go thru a sequence faster when I had a few bubbliles.
lol! Sequencing already puts me in an altered state of mind, especially toward the end of a evening at it. Wonder what drinking would do...

I also suspect there's a connection between the lead in the pvc insulation of light strings and the speed at which "hobby" becomes "obsession".

I wish I had help. I've always put up a big static display of between 15,000 to 25,000 lights. The compliments we got from family, friends, and neighbors was endless. I have 4, 20 amp circuits outside just for lights. My wife at least would always help with the easy stuff, lighting the shrubs and smaller trees, putting bows on about 40 candy canes and peppermint sticks that border our entire front yard, etc.
We had a baby girl in July so the entire thing was on my own this year. Once I saw Carson Williams WOW display a few years back during football games I was hooked and wanted to do the LOR setup. I finally bought a 16 channel this past summer on the sale and found it was more work that I thought. Hanging the extra 7500 or so lights was the easy part. Luckily I have a better idea how it all works know and for this year was able to use some sequences other members sent. I wanted her help with the computer end of it at least since I'm not that good with them, but after her and my Brother in Law fooled around with it, they deemed that you had to be rocket scientist to program it and gave up. At least he ripped all of my music to MP3 before hand so I had the Audio files. Then once I got lights up and started to play around too with learning the system I was spending too much time on it. I actually wasn't going to put lights up this year but got begged to for "our" little girl, if for anyone. So once I decided to finish she couldn't say to much though. Next year I'm adding at least two more controllers, maybe three. We still do the big static display so the LOR is added. She's better with it again since I have a better understanding and she has seen A) You don't have to be a rocket scientist. And :D They look awesome!! We went out after Christmas this past Friday and bought about 10000 more red, green, and white lights. Now once Annika gets a little older and can play by herself if I can get my old help back and maybe some help sequencing.... I have a pretty good idea where I want to go with this.

Lenny