Light-O-Rama Forums

2008 christmas display

Brandon

Tim P wrote:

What did you use for the color wash on the houses??

Merry Christmas!

Tim

We used basic spot lights, we have 10 fixtures with 3 lights inside each one, red, green, blue. so 30 spots in all, so basically its a home-made color splash.

the other house just has 8 flood lights on it.

Here is another duo house I came across on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkSqVMDyDck

I want to know what the top house used for the 4 stars? Has the light storm effect from ActionLighting. But if you watch the whole video, sometimes the effect slows down so Im guessing it might be robe light on wireframe with 3 channels each?

Cracker wrote:

Here is another duo house I came across on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkSqVMDyDck

I want to know what the top house used for the 4 stars? Has the light storm effect from ActionLighting. But if you watch the whole video, sometimes the effect slows down so Im guessing it might be robe light on wireframe with 3 channels each?

That pretty neat looking

probably has a few channels in the star like you said.

I emailed them about the stars and here is thier responce:

Thanks for the feedback! The there are actually 4 channels for each star. The lights on the star are extra large mini’s, while the poles are wrapped in 150 feet of rope light each. The larger poles have 9 channels and the shorter poles 7 channels. So, I’ve burned up 48 channels to do those stars/poles. I had them made locally by a fabricationo shop, and they did excellent work. You could always reach out to them as they’ve done it before.

Their website is http://www.dakotafabrication.com. I’m sure they could ship the stars, and you could easily get the poles locally. Those stars are 5 feet in diameter at their largest point.

What are "extra large mini's"?

Brandon,

North Pole Express was an excellent creative work on your part. The piano keys are GREAT!

I really liked the idea of using arches in a subtle way instead of having them jump back and forth like so you so often.

Good work. Congratulations on a great display.

Charles

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh, my, That was AWESOME! I was like...what's this...a red thing...then I see flashing railroad lights, then tracks...and I understood it. Then I saw the piano...and I was like..."is it gonna play"? And indeed, it did! Then I began following along...(as I play piano) and it's right on! The notes in the music do indeed correspond to the piano!

Great Job!!!!

Did you have sheet music in front of you while sequencing? Great song, BTW!

Sadly, it seems that both of the videos referenced here have been pulled from YouTube due to copyright violations reported from Warner Music Group :D

-Gary-

The ones posted by Brandon and Cracker are gone. Haven't tried any of those listed in the signature lines.

-Gary-

• 2 weeks later...

I too wanted to see the video but saw that WMG had YouTube pull it. Are the videos hosted anywhere else?

Not looking to get anyone fired up about copyright violations, but just as a "thought" .... I find it odd that WMG would pull the TSO christmas light videos (all of my videos with TSO music has been pulled on YouTube). If I were to guess, I'd say that Carson's original Wizards In Winter and our subsequent displays that use TSO music have increased TSO's popularity and generated more fans and more ticket salesthan they otherwise would have sold on their own.

I know they own the rights and can do whatever they like and I'm not mad, but it just makes me think from a business perspective why they would do that...that's all....

Out of curiosity, I sent an email to ASCAP to find out what a license would cost for applications such as videos up on YouTube. I specified not-for-profit and linked to Carson's video on YouTube as an example. I also asked if there is a group license.

If/when they reply, I'll let you know. I did not check to see if TSO is an ASCAP member.