Light-O-Rama Forums

CTB16D housing/wiring question

Guest guest

Im getting ready to add to my collection.

I already have a few assembled LOR1602W and im thinking about getting some of the 16 channel boards with heat sinks, yeah anyway all i have to add are boxes and cords.

Now... My set up is in my basement and thats where my computer is. I have a hole cut going outside to fit like 150 extension cords, and its wired for last year.

If my boards are in side and out of the way what is the best box type for them. They will never see weather and are going on a wall.

And for wiring them up to the house current, can i wire them to a light switch to the board or should i do the light switch to the plug and then the plug to the board? They obviously have there own breakers and such.

Probaly the plug idea?

and what is the best idea for the plugs to the lights? I jsut ordered 80 extension cords from HOME DEPOT GREEN 50-FOOTERS for $5.98 ( i thought it was a great find SKU # 809-543) Should i cut the plugs off and stright to the board?

Im looking for your opinions and what you do Thanks Jordan

Jordon, I am having a blond moment here. I tried your sku and did not get hit. Also searched for extension cards and still could not find the ones your are talking about? Is that the correct sku?

I would like to purchase some of these 50 footers too!

Thanks Ed

yeah thats what is on the home depot shelf.

barcode number is #78175600041 3

SKU# 8 809-543

Commercial Electric cords

EC225255

Thats the shelf sticker, took a picture with the phone.

Maybe you could call my local HD and aske them if they ship. it should be free and pick it up at your store It's the North Canton, Ohio 44721 Home Depot (330) 497-1810

Its not online(or i didnt get them online), i had to order them at the store because my store only had 42. And i signed up for a home depot card and am getting another 10% off:waycool:

Hi,

First off, anyone that is going to build their own enclosures should review the LOR-303 class. http://www.lightorama.com/downloads/LOR-Training-303.pdf ... It has some good information on the topic.

As far as enclosures make sure that they protect people (especially kids) and animals from electric shock hazard.

If you use metal enclosures the boxes need to be grounded.

You can use a switch for the boxes just be aware of the current capacity of the switch so that it is not overloaded. If you have the controllers on dedicated circuits you can just hardwire them and switch them on/off at the beginning/end of the season. Most people keep there controllers powered up at all times.

Dan,

Seeing how you have nothing to do at this month:laughing: I thought that I would nag you with some questions about the plastic enclosers that you are having made.

1.) do you have a sample picture yet?

2.) do you have an idea on the price?

3.) a date that they might ready for sale?

Thanks Ed

I feel stupid, i went last night and spent time reading through old post and foind what i was looking for. Usualy thats the thing to do. I was in a hurry that last time i look and over looked because i wanted to get my order in, which i havent done yet. Sorry and thank you Joran

I read about them, the new boxes im taking it we would be able to buy them off dan empty? I would also like to know before i buy/build something. Jordan

Jordan Marosell wrote:

I read about them, the new boxes im taking it we would be able to buy them off dan empty? I would also like to know before i buy/build something. Jordan

Yep. Dan has said he's working with a company to produce some plastic enclosures. I don't have a clue as to the time table, but my gut tells me it could be another 2 months or so.

Dan, correct me if I'm wrong, and feel free to edit this post in the process.

Dan:

I was able to get my hands on cheap 6' female 3 prong power cords (perfect to plug my extensions into. They are 14/2 conductor (plus ground). My question is can the 1602d terminal strips accomodate 14 AWG conductors or should I run them to a larger terminal bar? I know you guys use 16AWG. Similar question for the inputs, can your terminal strips handle 12AWG (20AMP)

Thanks