Light-O-Rama Forums

Advice for direction to take my show

bhays

Looking for some advice..

This is my second year with a synchronized show. I have a fairly large display with 272 channels plus quite a few dmx fixtures, etc. I synchronize with video and a large video (wreath) screen.

I have Demented Elf voiceovers with video that play between songs. Since I didn't really know what else to do, I started out last year playing Christmas music videos... Mariah Carey, Christina Aguilera, etc. I have a couple of songs like Sleighride from Brian Setzer where I use video from the Grinch, Peanuts with the kids dancing, etc. I notice that most of the visitors stay and watch the whole cycle of songs anyway...

I am thinking I would like to make my show 'tighter'... it seems like just a random bunch of videos/songs rather than a show. I got to thinking about this Monday night when we went to the TSO concert... they have narration between the songs in the first half of the concert and 'tell a story.' I am thinking I would like my display to 'tell a story'

What do you think is best in a show...

1) just a bunch of songs with voiceovers in between about neighbors, etc.

2) a 'tight' show where the whole show tells a story.. here's an example:

(the actual show starts about 1:00 into the video)

3) just different songs, but with a central character that introduces the songs and ties it all together like MikeZ, etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIY2G9qndRU (his character, DJ Jingles, comes in at about :50)

Hows your traffic situation? Length of current show?

I just wonder how many people will watch an elaborate show
from end to end. Most of my viewers can hardly watch more
than a song or two ... and most leave the moment a slow song
starts up.

taybrynn wrote:

Hows your traffic situation? Length of current show?

I just wonder how many people will watch an elaborate show
from end to end. Most of my viewers can hardly watch more
than a song or two ... and most leave the moment a slow song
starts up.

I find that most of my people stay to watch the entire show... which runs about 20 minutes... but that does cause traffic backups....

If I went to a full comprehensively themed show... I would shorten it down to about 12-15 minutes...

After seeing MikeZ display, my vote is a cohesive theme from beginning to end with a centeral character.

I also saw this years TSO concert, the TSO narration is nice as it ties everything together, but it does not have that "pizzazz". Don't get me wrong, the TSO concert was great.