Light-O-Rama Forums

Sounds like LOR may not be bleach friendly

DavidPeterson

I hope the guy responds by putting up twice as many lights. Heck I might even chip in a few bucks just to make the neighbors mad. lol ;)

Yes very well said Jeff....

One thing though, depending on the department police will prosecute offenders who vandalize a display. The kids in here that were in Southlake are the perfect example.

In this case if they knew who it was or you caught someone they can be hit pretty hard. We all know this is not a cheap hobby and I know atleast here in Texas $500-1500 in damage is a Class A misdemeanor of Criminal Mischief and the offenders can face up to a year probation 80 hrs community service, fines, court costs, and restitution. More then $1500 is considered a felony Criminal Mischief and the punishment can get pretty steep including jail time. Some of yalls displays have easily over $1500 in controllers, not to mention decorations alone.

I know it is a long shot but it would be nice if police or the news would steep up and run story's about the consequences of vandalizing displays each year. I think if some of these punks knew what they were getting into it might help in the prevention. Seeing that won't ever happen I think it is up to us as decorators to take the initiative. A lot of us have web sites for our displays and I know it is kinda bum hum bug to put something on your site about the consequences of vandalism, but maybe if the community in whole stepped up with a campaign against this kind of activity and if people started seeing more of this and hearing more of this on peoples web pages the word might spread. Still probably a long shot, but every little thing helps. I know I could not replace $1500 in controllers overnight and to think of the disappointment it would cause to those who do appreciate the displays, every little bit of education about vandalism could help maybe detere such actions.

Hey Jeff,

Yes, I know someone who has a Mr. Christmas-type machine - my next door neighbors!!!!

Sometime between when I made my neighborly rounds this summer advising everyone what I was doing (and checking for interference from my FM transmitter) and Thanksgiving, my neighbors must have some kind of epiphany and decided to do their own light show this year. Last year they didn't put out any lights at all.

The only two houses in our small community with animated displays... Hmmmm... and those houses just happen to be next to each other... Hmmmm.... What are the odds? What's their message, I wonder?

I asked that on SCL a few weeks ago and got blasted by the big boys for being selfish and arrogant. Obviously, none of them has had this happen next door to them. I don't mind serving as an inspiration for others who are as inspired by my lights as I was by watching so many videos of yours, but this is ridiculous. I'd have been delighted to extend my stuff another 16 or 32 channels in their direction had they said anything at all prior to spending 80 bucks and maybe an hour to throw up some lights and plug in all six cords. off, on, off, on, off, on, off, on, off on... I'm sorry - there's nothing at all original or artistic about it - it looks trashy.

I'm so tired of having to explain to people every night "No our displays aren't connected" and it embarrasses me that some folks might actually believe they are. So I'm curious to hear what people here might have to offer regarding my situation. It's been three weeks and I'm still pi**ed. What would you do? How am I supposed to feel? What message are they sending?

And please, spare me the "turn the other cheek" BS. I'm looking for insight, not platitudes. Thanks.

I dont know if this is a full on turning of the cheek, but how bout you offer to decoate their house? I know that if my neighbor said go for it I would be all over it!!

two houses to decorate??? That would be one he!! of a dueling banjos sychronization!!

At the same time it is sort of an insult "can I do your house because you suck at it" They might step up their game or give up, or do nothing.

but that wouldnt be the christmas spirit!

good luck!

George Simmons wrote:

Hey Jeff,

Yes, I know someone who has a Mr. Christmas-type machine - my next door neighbors!!!!

Sometime between when I made my neighborly rounds this summer advising everyone what I was doing (and checking for interference from my FM transmitter) and Thanksgiving, my neighbors must have some kind of epiphany and decided to do their own light show this year. Last year they didn't put out any lights at all.

The only two houses in our small community with animated displays... Hmmmm... and those houses just happen to be next to each other... Hmmmm.... What are the odds? What's their message, I wonder?

I asked that on SCL a few weeks ago and got blasted by the big boys for being selfish and arrogant. Obviously, none of them has had this happen next door to them. I don't mind serving as an inspiration for others who are as inspired by my lights as I was by watching so many videos of yours, but this is ridiculous. I'd have been delighted to extend my stuff another 16 or 32 channels in their direction had they said anything at all prior to spending 80 bucks and maybe an hour to throw up some lights and plug in all six cords. off, on, off, on, off, on, off, on, off on... I'm sorry - there's nothing at all original or artistic about it - it looks trashy.

I'm so tired of having to explain to people every night "No our displays aren't connected" and it embarrasses me that some folks might actually believe they are. So I'm curious to hear what people here might have to offer regarding my situation. It's been three weeks and I'm still pi**ed. What would you do? How am I supposed to feel? What message are they sending?

And please, spare me the "turn the other cheek" BS. I'm looking for insight, not platitudes. Thanks.

Ouch, yea I can see where that could make your hard work look silly cause people might think they are linked. I doubt there were bad intentions behind it though.

I would casually talk to them after the holidays and see how they liked doing what they did and if they would be interested in maybe teaming up next season to do something together then explain the options to pull it off. The more the merrier and there is enough room to invite more people. I can definitely see how it could be distracting though. If worse comes to worse then explain to them how much time and energy goes into what you do compared to what they did with the L&S and how it deflects all your time and planning. Of course that would be a last resort. If you are close to them like I am to my neighbors I am sure they would understand.

George,

If you can, play your music through the yard.(if you only do FM) The sound quality difference alone should let everyone know you two are not connected. LOR can do SO much more then the crappy sounding sold-in-stores boxes.

Make it awesome!

Jeff Millard wrote:

Next song. On, Off, On... shall I continue?

Yes please! that was my favorite sequence/song the box does! :cool: j/k

Jeff, you made very good points, thank you!

Some people are jerks and there is nothing you can do about it. Just try to not let it bother you too much.

--Daniel L

Hmmm, well my solution to this problem would be to take the output from my security cameras, add some infra-red location detectors, feed them into a high end image analysis computer, program it to recognize the shape of their butt as they turn and walk away, send a signal to servo to train my shotgun (filled with rock salt), toward that little fanny of theirs, and hit the solenoid that fires some heat into them :X

Too bad its not that easy to do. Maybe a feature for LOR III huh? ... automated butt blaster.

Actually, I agree with another post. If youcan make some good relations with the neighbors and offer to pull them in on the fun, life could be a lot easier.

George, maybe this guy is like me. I for 15 year have not put up lights except for the Christmas tree. More like my wife did it. I have always loved to play with tech, lights and loved christmas. I have always wanted to it right but never really seen until LOR. I even made my own jukebox that everyone loves. I have been trying to get my friend that wrote the software to sell it but thats another story. This year for the first time in 15 years I put up a few lights. Wanted to put it to music and my wife suggested the 6 outlet on off thing. I know what you are all thinking oh crap another one of those. I looked and found LOR and now here I am. Don't have the controllers yet but purchased the software.

Next year I plan on putting in 5 controllers and 16000 plus lights. I did talk to my neighbors about it. One loved the idea, another just laughed and said we would be in the paper. The last one is a good friend but said as a neighbor he didn't want it. His main complaint was lights being on all night. I told him I had kids in grade school and didn't want it on to late. 9:30 during the week and 10:30 during the weekend. I have held true to it even with the crappy static display of 1900 lights. They go out at the right time and he is ok with it. I think communication is the best key and keep after it. One thing I like about our street is we all get along. We always chat with each other. Alot of friends that don't live here wish they did because we are always hanging out with each other even with our differences. I even got one neighbor that after she sees our display for next year said she might want to join in. I have no problem running a cat 5 to her house. I would see if this guy with the on off thing really wants to have a great display or just messing with you. Heck walk over with a case of beer and sit and talk with him. beer has a great way of opening up people. Thats how our neighbors are so open with each other. Time to go have a beer with the neighbors. Have a good one.

P.S. had a few already. :D

• 2 years later...

I did the Mr. Christmas 4 channel Wireless box for several years, I just COULD NOT afford to get into LOR at the time, then that all changed in very late December 2009 (AFTER Christmas) when I bought my first LOR CTB16PC Controller used from a fellow light enthusiast. And then by Halloween 2010, I had 5 controllers and 80 channels. Now our neighbor at the time across the street still used (still does) a Mr. Christmas "canned" lighshow box.

Funny thing was, I go LOR and get ousted from the Christmas Decorating contest in 2010 because they changed the rules, but when I used the "Mr. Christmas" canned box for the first few years, we won 1st place every year, go figure.....

Then I up the ante and go pro (sort of) by going LOR and get told we can't be in the Christmas Contest in 2010. WTF??? kind of ticked me off, but I really WAS NOT in it for the contest anyway, I do, and did it because *I* wanted something more, something better than just the on-off-on light effect from the Mr. Christmas box.

I can't say it(Mr. Christmas) didn't serve its purpose, it did work well for several years of use, now it's retired in storage, but I may use it for something, some day. I'm just one of those folks that just can't get rid of something like that becaiuse as soon as I do, I find a unique use for it. LOL

But I WOULD NOT go back for anything, LOR all the way, well I may use the ol' Mr. Christmas for some "indoor" stuff where it won't be heard by anyone except to drive me crazy inside. :shock:

But after my across the street neighbor saw my first LOR display in Halloween 2010, yes, they were intrigued, possibly interested in going that route, and when I showed them what goes into it, the time needed to make it all work and the time it took to put up the display and run all the hundreds of extension cords, etc.

Well, they said that IS way too much work, and they don't have the time for that kind of thing and would stick with their Mr. Christmas box" because they don't need a lot of extension cords, and it has a LOT LESS outlets to worry about and plug in to. Plus they weren't too keen on the cost of the controllers, software or any extra things they may need to make it all work.

They thought I was insane for "wasting all that time AND money" on "blinky lights", adding new items and buying Wal-Mart out on extension cords for my Halloween and Christmas displays. LOL

So your neighbor may feel the same way, just their preference because it is SIMPLE to set up and do, now my neighbor would have loved it if I could have combined our houses into one large show, but since we had to move due to it was my late M-i-L's home and had a reverse mortgage, well when she passed on, we knew we'd have to move on due to the RM holder would foreclose on the house, which we tried to work out a deal with them, but they declined. :D

But all our neighbors loved the LOR light set up we did, but all our neighbors at the time, also pretty much decorated for Christmas, some did Halloween, but not very many on that one.

The children really hated to see us leave, they were the ones that enjoyed the light displays, especially Halloween. Even though no real contest for Halloween, we always got voted the Best Halloween House in the subdivision! Usually by handwritten notes we'd find on or under our front door!:D

Now that we're in an apartment (I hope temporarily) and I have cut my display back from 80 to 48 channels for 2011 due to space limitations, and can't mount anything to the outside walls like I could at the house. Although we do have a couple of funky looking trees in front to hang a few lighted ghosts and lit skeleton from. And a small area for a small cemetery scene with a few staked ghosts, tombstones, singing Jack-O'-Lanterns(funkins type) and a few blowmolds. So I will have some type of display for 2011, just wish I had room for all my goodies instead of being so darned limited in space!

Jeff Millard wrote:

Jeff steps up on the soapbox....

Very well said Jeff, very good post.

I don't know why there are so many haters out there. I haven't had a display for several years but I try to contribute to the hobby in a way that I can, you might even know how but most don't. I don't need people to know. There are some, however, that follow me around to every board I go to and try and discredit me and the things I do, they are haters, same as you talked about. I don't know why some have to be that way but as long as I can contribute in a positive way, then it's still all worth it!!

Craig

Jeff Millard wrote:

George,

Were you ever successful in soaking up the capacity of the transformer that feeds the blinky flashy wannabe?

On, Off, On (static) Off, off, off, off, (static... crackle... sizzle...) Then the impending call to Scottie for more power from the dilithium crystals already straining from the massive load of LEDs vacuuming up every electron available (that isn't frozen solid) Smoke pouring from a feeble little box that just couldn't find the food it needed to provide an eye catching distraction to that which it knew it could never be... It chokes, coughs, spitting sparks into the snow... strains one last time... and welds all the shunts in the incandescent mini lights it once so proudly displayed in opposition to the mighty blue LED face... No more "On, Off, On, Off..." Just... "off" forevemore... Crappy little Mr. Christmas box! :(

Jeff

LMAO!
I too, have a 12 channel show in the box. I use it for Halloween to dance the pumpkins on my flowerbed with Hallowwen music while the main system does lightning, thunder, howls and such. The box system keeps the music at a reasonable level and my big speakers can put out the thunder quite well. They are not timed together, but it does work out together very well. This year the lightning and fog will be beefed up quite a bit :cool: