Light-O-Rama Forums

Calling all Australians

Robbo

Hi everyone, I am considering setting up a computerized christmas light show for 2009 Christmas, however I am concerned as to whether the LOR controllers are compatible with our system, it is 240volt and our plugs are different.....

so what adapters do I need to make this happen, has any one got close up picture of the LOR channel plugs?

Another question in regards to lights used with LOR controllers:

1. Are lights that come with built in controllers able to be used? ie does the LOR controller overide any built in effects of the lights? or do you just set the built in controller to on solid and then leave the rest to LOR controller?

I have been reading this forum for hours the past week and a bit and am learning heaps in the area of building arches...mini trees etc but am struggling to find the basics such as plug fittings etc ;)

I thank you all for your help in advance as I see there are a lot of generous and helpful people within this forum.

Regards

Robbo

Hi Robbo & Welcome from another Aussie

Yes - LOR does work with 240V and Australian lights but there are some things you have to watch out for. A good place to start for Aussies is the Aussie Light-O-Rama Users group where a lot of issues specific to Australia are discussed. http://groups.google.com/group/Aussie-LOR-Users

Wrt your specific queries, LOR does not override the inbuilt lights controllers, but you can use LOR to switch controlled strings on & off. The string behaves as the controller setting at powerup. Dimming and other effects are generally NOT compatable with controller strings. For most of my strings I either cut the controllers out (minis & incandescents), or disable them (some LEDs). My current practice with low voltage LEDs is to convert these to run on the DC LOR boards, but there are a few traps in this.

The US leads are not compatable with Aussie plugs, so I have generally used female sockets from extension leads or 4 outlet power boards (cut off the plug ends) and wire these to the LOR outputs. The LOR CTB16PC board uses ''crimp lugs' for connections to the board, while the CTB16D boards use a screw terminal strip. Each has its advantages. I have several of each type.

Hope this helps

Regards Geoff

Thanks for the welcome and answers Geoff it is much appreciated....and I wil take this into account when I get started, I am not too electrically savvy but do work in the building trade and have a few sparky connections...nothing a case cant fix.

I will be sure to check out the aussie users group also...thanks m8

Regards

Robbo