Light-O-Rama Forums

New CTB16 controller lost ch16 and keeps blowing fuse

prussell

I purchased a new CTB16 this year (Nov) to add another 16 channels, and last week it stopped working half way through the night. After finding that the 2nd bank 9-16 fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse, and now it works but I do not have control of ch16. It is constant on. I'm thinking the triac is now shot. I was going to try to get through the season, but the fuse now keeps blowing. About every 2 - 3 days. What do i need to do to get this fixed/repaired? I'm not seeing any info on the website with instructions for returns or repairs. What is the process for sending this unit back to get repaired?

Thanks

Patrick

Thanks for the replies.

I have checked the loads and I am well within the 8A per channel, 15A per bank. The first time it blew was during playback of a show. This is when I lost control of the #16ch. everytime it blows now it is sometime after the show has stopped playing for the night. I normally leave the units plugged in over night. Is it possible that the morning dew may be causing the problem even though the board is powered, but no control signal, or power is being sent to any of the channels?

Thanks again

Patrick

Is there anything pluged into channel 16? I would call Dan on Monday , but it still could be the number 16 triac. Maybe you could remove it. Custmore service is super! they will not leave you hanging.

Yes. When I lost control of the channel and it was in a constatnt on state, I decided to use it to power a wireless speaker in the garage by the units. The speaker remains powered all night also.

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

There is also the possibility that something is shorting on the board. I say this because the author says that it happens sometimes after the show is over. I presume that this controller is outside? Now here is something to think about. If there is mosture in the air in the box that the controller is mounted in. And the temperature drops enough that the moisture condinsates then it could be raining in the box onto the board. Or a dew collecting on the board. Anyway you dice it, something is causing the fuse to blow from time to time.

I have worked in the military aircraft business for some years. And any electronics installed in an aircraft gets a coating on the boards to do two things. But the first is so that loose metal items and condinsate do not short the circuit board.

Frankly, when I buy and build my first controller, I am going to do one thing once it has been tested and proven to work. I am going to mask off the IC sockets and the header pins and spray the heck out of the board and componets to keep it from shorting out. Other reason I was going to mention is that keeps the solder joints and any other metal from oxidizing. Well except for the quick disconnect tabs, and those you can put a "No-Ox grease" on them to protect them.

Gentlemen, you have to remember that you do not put your TV, radio or microwave outside under an awning and expect it to work for long. Then why do you think that these controllers will. Is it just because you put it in a weather proof box? Well just remember this. When the door was open to make any connections. You just let in a lot of humid air. And that humidity will condinsate once the temperature goes down.

One other thought. In another thread, someone had a snail get into their box and come across some high voltage and shorted the hell out of the box. It also caused a hole to be burnt into and through the board about the size of a nickel.

Good luck to the author.

Max