Light-O-Rama Forums

Can You Start LOR Remotely?

cm11599ps

I plan on putting my machine in either the garage or the living room next to the garage. I'd also like to have a big gathering for the 1st night of my display next year.

Is there any way to control my indoor machine from the outside so that when the crowd outside counts down to zero I can turn the show on?

cm11599ps wrote:

I plan on putting my machine in either the garage or the living room next to the garage. I'd also like to have a big gathering for the 1st night of my display next year.

Is there any way to control my indoor machine from the outside so that when the crowd outside counts down to zero I can turn the show on?

I did that this year with my director - I used a trigger to start the show (Tip Push the button on 1 - takes a Sec to start). The computer now supports triggers from 2.1.12 + so you can wire a switch into a trigger on a board and it can start a show.

Harrison

Create a countdown sequence.

Build a countdown clock and program the sequence. When you get to "0", all of the lights turn on.

You could use a directors card to start the sequence. There is generally about a 3 to 5 second lag time from powering up the card to the sequence showing. At your light up ceremony, indiscretely apply power to the director, the countdown clock ticks down from ten, then your lights power up at "0". It would work and make you look good too.

cm11599ps wrote:

I was browsing my computer and saw a "Remote Desktop Connection" icon. If I have wifi would I be able to take a laptop outside to control the inside machine?

To use Microsoft's Remote Desktop, the target machine (your LOR computer) has to be running Windows XP Pro or a version of Windows Server. A better alternative is to use a free program like Real VNC (http://www.realvnc.com/products/free/4.1/index.html) to remotely access your LOR computer. It's very easy to set up especially if you're on the same local network.

Mark