Light-O-Rama Forums

Scrolling Text

Eric R

We have seen a display with scrolling text the size of a wall and wanted to let you know that you can have it also. It is a channel muncher so be prepared.

The idea is a wall of five or more firestix as seen in this video. The video has the stix we are talking about but not the wall. (Like a leaping arch but pointing up in the air)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGDtafKWKDg&fmt=18

These would be in a line with the first channel in the upper right firestick working down the stick to the seventh channel. Repeat going from right to left as you map your channels. Just remember each stick will have 7 channels with the lowest channel number at the top of each stick.

Open the HI Scroll.zip file created in S2 and run the animation window to see the results.

I think you will be amazed at how easy this really is and I hope to see some of you use it next year. I would love to do this myself but I think this is likely our last year for a big display.

Attached files HI Scroll.zip

Eric R wrote:

...I would love to do this myself but I think this is likely our last year for a big display.

Sorry to hear it, Eric. Thanks for the post, though, great idea.

Push Eject wrote:

Eric R wrote:
...I would love to do this myself but I think this is likely our last year for a big display.

Sorry to hear it, Eric. Thanks for the post, though, great idea.

Don't be sorry, we have had alot of bulb issues this year and I think they will likely hit the trash at the end of the season. We want to go all LED so it will be baby steps for a few years until we get back up to around 20k bulbs again. Cant afford the hit all at once.

:shock:

Neat Idea but, what a Channel Pig. Still I imagine with that kind of layout you could do some pretty cool things....

Hmmm once again the mind wanders. Oh to have an unlimited Wallet...
-Evan

Channel pig is a good name for it. When you figure leaping arches at 8 channels each times how many arches or 16 channels on a mega tree for one color, I don't think that a minimum of 35 channels is too bad for what you are gaining. Graphics would also be possible with a few more channels. I choked over 32 channels for firestix and arches this year but wound up with 32 channels not used. Wish I would have thought about this earlier!

Check this out http://www.lindsaylights.com/webcam_streaming.html

there is no video posted yet,during show times the live web cam shows scrolling

text.

Over on PC there was a thread about the text and Martin Lindsay said he used 120

channels to do the effect.

I love the look, very cool if you have a hand full of extra controllers laying around.

Tim