Light-O-Rama Forums

Program didn't start tonight

dodgertrue

I had to go out of town tonight. So I left my computer on and told the wife she wouldn't have to worry about anything the show would start on it's own. Needless to say when she got home the show wasn't going and she said she got one of those messages where you have to end the program then the send don't sent message.

After she rebooted the computer everything was fine.

I should be able to leave the computer on and have the show start every night shouldn't I.

I even disconnected from the internet just to make sure.

Any suggestions.

GM

dodgertrue wrote:

I should be able to leave the computer on and have the show start every night shouldn't I.

Yes, in fact, my show has started every night for the last 2 weeks, and as I recall, I have never had a failure of the show to start during the whole Christmas season for the past few years. Thus, you should be able to depend on it running every night.

Now, having said that, I have a computer in the attic that is dedicated to doing nothing except running LOR, security camera recordings, and ZaraRadio. I am wondering if you computer was running other processes that might have caused a hang up ?

I use a program to automatically shut down the show computer every night after the show. I also have it set in the BIOS to start up evey night before the show. My FM Transmitter is also on a timer, so I can come and go as I please and not have to worry about the show starting like I did last year.

Depending on your version of windows, most of them don't like to stay on for several days/weeks at a time, especially if you have auto-update enabled.

Westport Lights wrote:

I use a program to automatically shut down the show computer every night after the show. I also have it set in the BIOS to start up evey night before the show. My FM Transmitter is also on a timer, so I can come and go as I please and not have to worry about the show starting like I did last year.

Depending on your version of windows, most of them don't like to stay on for several days/weeks at a time, especially if you have auto-update enabled.

That's an interesting idea for people who don't want their computer on all the time. As for the one I have, it has to stay on all the time to record security cameras and upload video to monitoring area. If people have trouble keeping Windows running, it isn't the version, it's what they are running on it and how they have it configured. I've had good success with all versions continuously running except for Windows "ME" many years ago.

Guest wbottomley

Richard, I couldn't agree more.

I have a Dell Optiplex GX270 P4 3G processor, 2G ram, and 250G HD.

I increased the memory and hard drive... and this thing runs non-stop.

I have Zara Radio, LOR, Live Streaming camera for the lights, and a few other apps running at the same time.

I've only rebooted three times this year so far due to windows updates.

When I notice the show acting crazy, I usually reboot and things clear up.

I'll echo what others have said, the LOR program is very reliable. In 4 years of the display, I can recall only once where the show failed to start.

Oddly enough, it was this year. P4, 2G Ram, 80GB HD, Zara/LOR, etc. The static show started, but the animated show did not. However, that was the time I left the show scheduler and show editor open overnight. Shouldn't have made a difference, but that was the only variable.