Light-O-Rama Forums

Is it necessary to have more than one Director box?

Guest guest

In preparing for tomorrows sale I have come down to this dilemma.

I was first going to buy the CTB16D with two CTB08D's. But the more I have read it seams logistically having one director and three slaves located around the yard would mean less wire and cleaner installation.

Anyway, would I need more than one "Director" board in the system? And any comments on "is this a sound way to go?"

Thanks

Steve

I dont really understand your question, if you are using computer controll then ALL controllers are equal, NO director except the computer. If you are doing stand-alone then you will need ONE controller to direct the others, You can position them any where, you just need to daisy-chain them like when thry are connected to the computer. Their is NO order the controllers need to be in, you could have the ids like...

1-3-2 in that order and anyone of them can have the sequence. The boards id's keep it straight.

[Dan, please correct me if I am wrong!]

--Daniel L

Daniel wrote:

I don't really understand your question, if you are using computer control then ALL controllers are equal, NO director except the computer. If you are doing stand-alone then you will need ONE controller to direct the others, You can position them any where, you just need to daisy-chain them like when they are connected to the computer. Their is NO order the controllers need to be in, you could have the ids like...

1-3-2 in that order and anyone of them can have the sequence. The boards id's keep it straight.

[Dan, please correct me if I am wrong!]

--Daniel L

Hi Daniel

Yes, I will be using a computer and software to run the show.

So what you are telling me is that I don't need the "D" version at all? Do you hook up each CTB08 one at a time to the computer and tell it which ID number it will be in the daisy chain? Then after put the daisy chain together?

Sounds easer then I thought.

Thanks

Steve

WAIT! D=Deleux NOT Director! Sorry for getting you confused! The D is better becaues it has future upgrade capabilities. The D version has a little id switch on it so the id is permanant. PLEASE ask a question if I confused you! I sorry.

--Daniel L

If you are using a computer or in the future case, the MP3 director, you do not need any D's ....the D's are for Animation and Standalone...have greater memory and better capabilities. So if you have the computer, you can hook any controllers up in any order and then set the unit ID's..(not sure how, see owner's manual on LOR support page or contact a certified LOR costomer/employee)

So, if you were going to not use a computer and only animation, you would need atleast 1 'd'. If you use the computer, you dont need a 'd' at all...

*lor ppl, correct me cuz i'm a begginer that is learning, also*

Luke

The "d's" will have better LOR 2 capabilities. Dan had said that he made no promise that the ctb-08 would work with LOR 2. Besides their IS no, non-D version of the 16 channels!

--Daniel L

Daniel wrote:

WAIT! D=Deluxe NOT Director! Sorry for getting you confused! The D is better because it has future upgrade capabilities. The D version has a little id switch on it so the id is permanent. PLEASE ask a question if I confused you! I sorry.

--Daniel L

Daniel

I confused me, not you....

Thank you for the correction.

Is it that important to have the upgrade capability? From what I read they seem bullet proof. And they seem to have so many functions now, I am sure that I would never start to use them all.

So is the "D" version worth the extra money?

Steve

I dont have the "D" yet, but what I have seen the "d" Is verry worth it!

Frogot to mention, The 'd' also has inputs so you can wire up a motion sensor so in stand-alone you can run sequences by motion!

--Daniel L

Thank you for all your help.

I placed my order and went with the CTB-08D board and a showtime 16 channel package.

Since I have not seen one fully built up I thought I would buy one with everything so I would know how to build anything I want in the future.

Steve