Light-O-Rama Forums

Sequence Editor falls out of sync with music after scroll

progressivetek

Hi, 2nd year with LOR. 32 chan last year and 64 this year. I'm building a new song using the S2 software and am finding that the mp3 plays out of sync if I use any other play function than 'full sequence'. If I play 'visable screen' or 'from selection' and have scrolled from the beginning of the song, the music falls out of sync. This is very frustrating when I am trying to set up 64 channels on a particular section of music. To stay in sync, I have to play the entire sequence over and over.....

progressivetek wrote:

Hi, 2nd year with LOR. 32 chan last year and 64 this year. I'm building a new song using the S2 software and am finding that the mp3 plays out of sync if I use any other play function than 'full sequence'. If I play 'visable screen' or 'from selection' and have scrolled from the beginning of the song, the music falls out of sync. This is very frustrating when I am trying to set up 64 channels on a particular section of music. To stay in sync, I have to play the entire sequence over and over.....

I suggest you use wav files, not mp3. If you really need mp3 (like for using with the Show Director), then convert to mp3 files for the show. This is what I do.

Also you will notice that it is only the left side of the screen that is probably out of sync. Once the song plays a few seconds, it will get in sync. Even so, that is just a workaround. I still prefer to use wav for editing.

Nope on the left side of screen, it is out of sync all the way across. No matter how much I compress...As I scroll across I can see the waveform not following along at the same rate. We're talking up to many seconds out of sync here. Never had this problem before. Unfortunately, I purchased the music in mp3 format. Any easy to change it to .wav?

progressivetek wrote:

Nope on the left side of screen, it is out of sync all the way across. No matter how much I compress...As I scroll across I can see the waveform not following along at the same rate. We're talking up to many seconds out of sync here. Never had this problem before. Unfortunately, I purchased the music in mp3 format. Any easy to change it to .wav?

It was probably out of sync when you created this new song because you edited it on the left of the screen. It would have seemed to be in sync at the time.

Most people here use a free program called Audacity. It is available on the internet.

progressivetek wrote:

Excellent!! Don't know why but changing to .WAV did the trick!! Thanks for the help!

Let me tell you why. It is a problem with not being able to sync to timing marks in an mp3 file at various places in the song. This is easy for software to do with wav files and have absolute accuracy. MP3 is another story.

Editing another comment. My advice is to ALWAYS use wav files. With the Show Director there isn't any choice. You need mp3 for that, but you can edit and create your sequences by using wav files. Then convert them to mp3 before building the show and attach the mp3 version to the sequence. It's a little more work when using Show Director, but worth not having the syncing frustration.

For computer driven shows, why bother with mp3. There is plenty of disk space in most cases for the few songs you will likely be running in your show, sound quality is FAR better, and you won't be dealing with sync issues.