Light-O-Rama Forums

I am in BIG trouble...

Mike Berck

My show has run on schedule with no problems for 6 evenings. Last evening at 5:15, the status window said it was waiting for the start of the next show -- that was scheduled for 5:00. The resolution was to reboot the computer. This is the same problem and resolution I had last year on 1.6 -- it ran well for days, then it wasn't dependable to start itself. Manual intervention was necessary nearly every night to get it going again.

I figured the fix thus far this year was due to the new installation of 2.0.14. So in my wisdom I determined that reinstalling the program would be the solution.

I have removed and reinstalled LOR twice, beginning with my 1.5.0 CD and the install of the 2.0.14 download. The result is that a show previously running successfully scheduled for a launch today causes shows to be disabled, and the Sequence Editor will not run from a manual launch. The Control Panel menu is missing the Simple Show Builder (which I did not use, but it was there before I started "fixing" stuff).

Any ideas? Before dark please?

Mike Berck wrote:

My show has run on schedule with no problems for 6 evenings. Last evening at 5:15, the status window said it was waiting for the start of the next show -- that was scheduled for 5:00. The resolution was to reboot the computer. This is the same problem and resolution I had last year on 1.6 -- it ran well for days, then it wasn't dependable to start itself. Manual intervention was necessary nearly every night to get it going again.

I figured the fix thus far this year was due to the new installation of 2.0.14. So in my wisdom I determined that reinstalling the program would be the solution.

I have removed and reinstalled LOR twice, beginning with my 1.5.0 CD and the install of the 2.0.14 download. The result is that a show previously running successfully scheduled for a launch today causes shows to be disabled, and the Sequence Editor will not run from a manual launch. The Control Panel menu is missing the Simple Show Builder (which I did not use, but it was there before I started "fixing" stuff).

Any ideas? Before dark please?

Are you sure you have the correct version? 2.0.14 is disabled now in the sequence editor.

You should be using 2.0.16.

As you were replying, I was checking the LOR Support page and discovering the same thing. It's amazing what one can do when one stops flailing and does all the research. Reinstalling 2.0.16 made it work. Thanks for your advice.

Now I wonder where and when I got the 2.0.14 on this PC -- must've been back in June or before.

I'm still concerned about why it runs properly for me for a number of days then stops and requires a reboot to make it resume.

Mike Berck wrote:

As you were replying, I was checking the LOR Support page and discovering the same thing. It's amazing what one can do when one stops flailing and does all the research. Reinstalling 2.0.16 made it work. Thanks for your advice.

Now I wonder where and when I got the 2.0.14 on this PC -- must've been back in June or before.

I'm still concerned about why it runs properly for me for a number of days then stops and requires a reboot to make it resume.

Glad you got it going.

Mike,

I feel your frustration, I've got the same problem as you. I've uninstalled and reinstalled version 2.0.16, I just have to wait to see if the problem is still there. When the problem occurs and you close the control panel status window does it say program not responding?

Rick

this is just a long shot but the exact same this was happening to me, but i had a tangible reason. The show would be fine for 3 days and then (not responding) would show up and I would HAVE to reboot. I just leave the computer on 24/7 no sleep mode, only monitor shut off. (i had a similar problem last year when the computer would go to sleep, it would kill everything LOR, so nix that madness).

I have been running 2.016 for a while (halloween shows for 4 weeks)

I couldnt figure anything out.

Then one day I go in and my computer is sleeping..... WTF?

So im mumbling and my wife is on the other computer and asks whats wrong. I tell here that it keeps sleeping eventhough I dont want it to. Then she tells me oh, whenever Im done using your computer I put it to sleep!!!! BOOYAH!! We have a winner! It explained why it happened sporadically. Because she rarely uses the computer!!!

Thats all I have. Dont let your computer go to sleep!!!!

Rick Ouellet wrote:

When the problem occurs and you close the control panel status window does it say program not responding?

That's how it behaves. When my daughter was trying to resolve it last evening, she was going to kill it with Task Manager, but I told her to just reboot the PC. I think I tried that last year (a very long time ago), and the only consistent way to get it to work again was a full reboot.

I assumed that since it worked so well for so long this year was due to the upgrade install, so I spent some hours today doing just that.

Regarding sleeping, that may have been part of the problem last year, but this year I have a scheduled task to play my WMP Christmas music playlist from 6:00 AM until 4:57 PM (it sometimes takes over two minutes for Media Player to stop under that task), and Media Player doesn't let the PC sleep while it's playing. So I don't think that's the problem this year.

one other thing, I disabled all start up programs and files using msconfig.

Not having all that BS running in the back ground helps.

Also, virus software can mess witgh it also.

Eric

I found out the hard way that if your computer goes to sleep or has a screensaver, your shows stop running. I was testing things for weeks and would start a sequence and run outside to check it and it would run fine. Once I created a show, I was outside watching and then it wouldn't work. I came back in to find that the computer was running it's screensaver. As soon as I turned that off, the problem was gone.

Now all I ever do is turn off the monitor. Shows always work.

I also would add, on my show computer i disabled all the screen savers and went into the control panel and under power settings made sure it never shuts anything down, hard drives etc.. even with a standard computer they do this now, not just laptops. i have not had a problem last year or so far this year : ) maybe that will help. only the monitor gets shut off like others have said.

Bret LeFevre wrote:

I found out the hard way that if your computer goes to sleep or has a screensaver, your shows stop running. I was testing things for weeks and would start a sequence and run outside to check it and it would run fine. Once I created a show, I was outside watching and then it wouldn't work. I came back in to find that the computer was running it's screensaver. As soon as I turned that off, the problem was gone.

Now all I ever do is turn off the monitor. Shows always work.
Bret,

I disabled the sleep function on my laptop as well. The only hardware I allow to sleep is the monitor. Everything plays as intended with these settings.

Charles

thebaronn wrote:

this is just a long shot but the exact same this was happening to me, but i had a tangible reason. The show would be fine for 3 days and then (not responding) would show up and I would HAVE to reboot. I just leave the computer on 24/7 no sleep mode, only monitor shut off. (i had a similar problem last year when the computer would go to sleep, it would kill everything LOR, so nix that madness).

I have been running 2.016 for a while (halloween shows for 4 weeks)

I couldnt figure anything out.

Then one day I go in and my computer is sleeping..... WTF?

So im mumbling and my wife is on the other computer and asks whats wrong. I tell here that it keeps sleeping eventhough I dont want it to. Then she tells me oh, whenever Im done using your computer I put it to sleep!!!! BOOYAH!! We have a winner! It explained why it happened sporadically. Because she rarely uses the computer!!!

Thats all I have. Dont let your computer go to sleep!!!!
Doesn't she have her own computer in the kitchen?? :cool::shock:
I didn't really say that. :)
Lights on tonight and so far so good!
-Mike