Light-O-Rama Forums

OMG

Gremler

I have just really started playings with LOR2 (I have been a little busy), and I was able to do something that would have taken days, if not weeks and got it done in about 5 minutes, and I would bet the LOR2 timings are better than what I could have done.

Now I still believe there will be the majority of time that manual events will do a better job, but gosh this saved me days.

Bill

I'll second that!

I've used the beat wizard for each song, even restricting it to sections of a tune that has different beat, ie, the original Linus and Lucy, and it worked like a charm.

My hat's off to folks who have the skill and patience to work with just a 0.05 second grid, but for this newbie, that wizard is a lifesaver.

And with few exceptions, S2 has been just plain fun to use!

edit: lately when I first wake up I see The Grid burned into my retina. It was startling at first, but amusing once I realized what it was.

Wait till you take the plunge and start using tracks.

One of the ways I use them is to create smooth chases based on .10 sec and 05 sec timing. I use the beat wizard to mark the beats in track 1 and then set cells on in dummy channels to show when events should occur. I have copied those same dummy channels to a second track where I have things like arches and mini-trees. All of the timings in this track are set to .05 sec. The event from Track 1 (Beat Track) shows me exactly where to place the beginning and end of my chases. No need to sub-divide the cells to get the result I am looking for.

If you copy all of your channels into the "Timing" track, you get the best of both worlds. You have the .05 second granularity and another granularity based on musical beats. The one thing to be aware of is that making a change in one will affect the cell in the other track since they are the same channel.

It is rather amusing to look at the "Beat" track and see an event that starts and ends in the middle of a cell.

Yea S2 is great but it could be a little better. I like all the new features as well like the beat wizard, tracks etc. but they could be enhanced a little more. One thing that would make it easier when using tracks with the tapper wizard I wish you could advance the song to where you need to tap out the track. I.E. I have a sequence that is 15 mins long. If I wanted to use the tapper wizard to set a track at say the 12 min mark, then I would have to let it play all the way through until it gets there. That can get tedious if you have several tracks in that 12 min mark. You would have to listen to almost an hour worth of music just to lay down 4 tracks in that 12 min mark. So if you could advance the timming with the tapper wizard like you can with the beat wizard that would be awesome and cut an hour of time down to like mins.

One other thing that bugs me is how the tracks are laid out where you have to scroll down to get to each track. IMO I think having tabs at the top for each track would be nice so you could thumb through them easier, or even a drop down box next to the quick tools that has the tracks, or atleast give you the option if you want tabs, dropdown box, or scroll.

Other then that I love S2 and it is great.

I still don't get the whole cell and track ideas. I run the whole song at .05 listen to it and put markers at all changes. Then copy and put a beat track every 20- 30 channels. then start programing.It might be slow but it works for me.

redsea300 wrote:

I still don't get the whole cell and track ideas. I run the whole song at .05 listen to it and put markers at all changes. Then copy and put a beat track every 20- 30 channels. then start programing.It might be slow but it works for me.

Check this out, it might be able to help you understand tracks better. Basically it allows you to tap out each element of a song. I.E. beat could be one track, vocals another, guitar another. Then you can see just the timing marks for just those elements you tapped out. It makes sequencing certain things a lot easier because you could have like you mega tree sequenced to the beat, minis trees to vocals, arches, to guitar and vice versa.

http://tutorials.lorsequences.com/Chapter14/S2Tracks_high.wmv

If folks are afraid of the upgrade, just do it on your laptop after the show computer is functioning...

One thing to keep in mind about this:

If you decide to have your show computer running LOR 1, and then you change your sequencing computer to run LOR 2, your show computer will not be able to use any sequences created or modified thereafter by your sequencing computer (unless you also upgrade your show computer to LOR 2).