Light-O-Rama Forums

FM Broadcaster

bartonkay

I purchased fm broadcaster from light orama goes about 20' tried multiple stations nothing great...I plugged it directly into my computer and directly into my speakers I know about interfence with electrical and all that stuff so I moved all cords away from it, still no good. I than went to Fry's and bought one of their FM broadcasters same results($79.00), than I went to Radio Shack got a 25' mini jack ran from speakers in garage to edge of sidewalk...worse..than plug directly into computer in garage same ..worse...so my question is what can I do? I dont want a ramsey kit dont have enough time...Can anybody help me with this? Ramsey also has a broadcaster for $267.00 is that my only way to get clear music..Thanks Bartman Las Vegas

Hi

I am useing this transmitter this year & am getting 300-500' If you order tonight they should have it to you by the end of the week. Buy the V6000 with the extra long antenna which is extra & put the antenna outside the front of your house. I have mine in the rain gutter zip tied to one of the supports.

Mike

Unfortunately, I don't have any EDM units left ... sold the last one about a week ago.

If you have a lot of trees, you may need more power than normal and a real antenna added.

• 3 months later...

Good to hear. :cool:

Hmm ... a post coming from a new member with only 1 post?? ... this could easily be a not so subtle advertisement for the MBB product.

FYI ... there are a number of "members" here and on PC forums that freely promote these Chinese transmitters under the names: MBB (mobileblackbox), Vaseltec, HLLY ... all the same thing ... you get what you pay for. ;)

I still advice those who can afford quality to look into either Ramsey or EDM ... and my personal preference is for the EDM based on sound quality, reliability and superior design (same chip as Ramsey, but better engineered).

But either company has superior support and a good product.

I'm new to the LOR family. I just bought some controllers recently and getting my plans together for this Christmas. I searched over many web sites listing FM transmitters and you are right about most of them coming from HILLY or outside of the US. I wasn't impressed with the "Whole House Transmitter" listed on the "Light-O-Rama" site and got a couple opinions from the support team there. I had looked at the Eclipse 4000 at mobile black box. com but was a little uneasy about ordering from a company that did not list any phone numbers. I finally decided to go with them and was very surprised at the service. I put in my order on a Tuesday night and received my order Saturday afternoon. Thought that was pretty good since I live in Virginia and my order was shipped from California. So far, I am impressed with the unit. Maybe too much range for what I need. Uhmmm maybe out a tin can over the antenna or something! LOL!!!

Keith

Keith,

Welcome to the hobby ... your in for a lot of fun!!

I'm glad you got a transmitter your happy with.

Your right about the whole house unit ... its not very good
and only works on a few frequencies, which really is bad news
for folks living in bigger towns.

One of the biggest problems with those units has been
a fairly high rate of DOA units.

Just be careful on your transmit range ... make a good selection
of FM freq. (don't overbroadcast any popular local stations) and don't
run it 24x7. Find a vacant or (distant) freq. to use that also sounds good
for you.

In other words, be careful and responsible in your operation ... and
you'll be fine.

Scott

Thanks for the advice Scott. I've always enjoyed putting up a static light display for Christmas. Last year I tried one of those 6 channel shows in a box type thing and was not impressed at all with it so this year I invested some money and bought some equipment and experimenting with the programing side. And of course, what is a show without an FM transmitter. So far I've found several frequencies that also have open channels on either side in our area so I'm hoping there won't be any problems there. Unless there is a demand for my show to run longer, I normally only have my lights on from about 5:45 till 9:30 anyway.

I purchased an EDM direct from South Africa an as far as I'm concerned they are the best. More range than you need and clear as a bell. Took about two and a half weeks to get here but well worth the wait. I built a j-pole antenna out of 1/2 inch copper tube and it works great. Again more range than you need.

I cant wait for the group sale that taybrynn is putting together. I hope its before august.

Who or what company in South Africa makes this EDM FM transmitters? Whats the link to this company?

• 2 months later...

I just purchased a EDM unit. It does have awesome transmit power. When you made your antenna did you use the plug in wire that came with the unit and connect to the copper tube or did you make your cable to attach it.

I am thinking that I will make my own coax cable and hook it up to 3' antenna outside my house.

I have noticed with my unit that when I use the higher power setting that I do get a hum on the sound. It seems that if you are close to any magnetic source like your speakers it generates a hum. I am thinking that a longer connection cable from my computer speaker jack to the EDM unit would eliminate the hum.

Anyone have experience with this?

friskybri wrote:

I cant wait for the group sale that taybrynn is putting together. I hope its before august.

Are there plans for another group sale like last year? This is what I am holding out for. It would be helpful to know if this is likely to happen, even if can't confirm exactly when.