Light-O-Rama Forums

Ripping audio from DVD

Toolguy942

I've done the searches, read/watched the tutorials, reinstalled drivers and still can't figure this out. I have a Dell Optiplex 745 at work. The device manager says I have a Soundmax Integrated Digital Audio HD "card". I've installed Audacity and PowerDVD and for the life of me can't get Audacity to record anything from the DVD. :X The only inputs I get are microphone and line in. Anyone have any ideas?

BTW, I do have full admin rights on the machine.

I need the part in "The Santa Clause" where Tim Allen is trying to get his son out of the sleigh and says "Let's go!" so I can mix it with some other clips to make an intro for next year's show.

I was able to record things from youtube and I think it would work from a DVD by using an 1/8" mini to 1/8" mini cord and plug from the headphone/speaker jack on the audio card directly to the mic/line in jack. You can't hear it unless you split the line and use headphones but you can use the timeline to know when you have enough and then use Audacity or I use Acoustica MP3 mixer to edit the track to get what you want. I have also used this method to record ringtones from sites and then send them to my phone.

Toolguy942 wrote:

I need the part in "The Santa Clause" where Tim Allen is trying to get his son out of the sleigh and says "Let's go!" so I can mix it with some other clips to make an intro for next year's show.

Check out YouTube for the clip. Just search for "The Santa Clause". Looks like the entire first movie is there in parts. Find the clip you want and download to your computer, and then strip off the audio. I think this might be it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5yegq1uQZ8&feature=related. That should do it.

Tim, Thanks for the clip, but the problem I'm having is stripping off the audio with Audacity. I've since found on the Audacity forums that the integrated sound card I have hear at work doesn't play with Audacity so I'm going to have to try the line out to line in patchcord trick.

Have you tried zamzar.com? If not, copy the URL of the YouTube video you want, go to zamzar.com, click on the Download Videos tab, paste the YouTube URL you copied into the space in Step 1. In Step 2, open the pull-down menu and select the music format of the audio you want. Enter your email address and sit back while zamzar does it's thing.

The problem you might run into is the size of the YouTube file you want, since I believe the one I looked at was about 10 minutes long, so anticipate it being over the 100mb limit. But you can try it just the same. And there may be smaller segments of the video on YouTube that you can find and download.

Good luck.

Tim, thanks again fo rthe info. I have the DVD so I'll figure out how to record the short clip of what I want and them send it off. It's only about a 3-5 second clip.