Light-O-Rama Forums

New User First Impressions: LOR1602W

Guest guest

jmccorm wrote:

The first impression, actually, was a bit of a potential scare.

The box looked like it was slightly compressed on the sides. Opening it up revealed that it had insufficient shipping protection. UPS would have denied a warranty claim. Basically some extremely thin styro wrap around the unit itself. Looked more designed to protect it from scratches than shipping damage. Protection on top was provided by cables, protection on side provided by RS484 serial converter in a box. I believe most major shippers want to see 3" of foam or bubble wrap to process a shipping insurance claim. NOTE: This does not take into consideration any of LOR's policies and how they might handle the situation in a positive way if UPS did not honor a claim. Just that the shipping looked a bit risky.
Shippers, whether it is UPS or Fedex or another, every once in a while they will completely destroy a package. Think about how many packages you have had shipped and none have came damaged.

However, as a negative point on security, I was hoping that you could bolt it from the inside of the case onto a surface, and then with the lock on the front, prevent someone from removing it. From what I can tell, the only mount points built in are four external ones (two above and two below) that someone could use to remove the unit. Not that theft is an extreme worry. But I kind of wish that someone without access to a lock on the front couldn't remove and walk away with the box.
I had 25 light controllers left out in a field in the middle of no where. They would have been easy to steal, but I think most people have know clue how they work and would not know what to do with them. We worry about them because we paid a lot of money for them. You should worry about vandals more then theft. If someone is going to steal something, it will be a cute blowmold or wireframe. You can also paint your boxes black, so they will not stand out.