Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixielink network Question

Box on Rails

I currently have 7 LOR networks on High speed RJ485 USB comm ports. If I convert to a Pixielink and stay with the LOR setup does the 6 ports on the pixielink equate to 6 LOR networks that would be Labeled Regular, Aux A, and so no to Aux E? I want to set up the pixielink so I can just unplug the cat 5 from each RJ485 and plug it straight into the corresponding port on the Pixielink. Can or is this how it works?

Yes, Basically it equates to 6 LOR Networks but with the limitation of just 32 Unit ID's per Network.. DMX Data is sent to PixieLink > PixieLink converts and sends LOR Data to Controllers

Edited by Jimehc

1 hour ago, Box on Rails said:

I currently have 7 LOR networks on High speed RJ485 USB comm ports. If I convert to a Pixielink and stay with the LOR setup does the 6 ports on the pixielink equate to 6 LOR networks that would be Labeled Regular, Aux A, and so no to Aux E? I want to set up the pixielink so I can just unplug the cat 5 from each RJ485 and plug it straight into the corresponding port on the Pixielink. Can or is this how it works?

From the manual

The Light-O-Rama (LOR) PixieLink sACN adapter
converts standard E1.31 (streaming ACN) into six
RS485 output networks. Each output network can be
configured as a DMX universe, an Enhanced LOR
network, or a PixieLink protocol network. The output
port protocol (DMX, ELOR, PixieLink) is individually
configurable for each port.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Jimehc said:

Yes, Basically it equates to 6 LOR Networks but with the limitation of just 32 Unit ID's per Network.. DMX Data is sent to PixieLink > PixieLink converts and sends LOR Data to Controllers

I just wanted to make sure that as long as all my previews are set up to use unit ID's 01 through 20 in each network I won't need to edit any previews. So once the Pixelink is configured for LOR networks, It should just be plug and play so to speak. 

Thanks For the helping info. 

Your "Preview" will need to use DMX Universes

DMX Data is sent to Pixielink (Input as defined in Preview)

The Pixielink Output is configurable

Edited by Jimehc

7 hours ago, Jimehc said:

Your "Preview" will need to use DMX Universes

DMX Data is sent to Pixielink (Input as defined in Preview)

The Pixielink Output is configurable

That changes things a bit. I think I get it now. So let me make sure I get this straight.  I send DMX data through my computer's network R45 plug to the Pixielink that convert DMX data into 6 separate networks. So If I have only 25 universes/unit IDs on my first network and 25 universes on the second network, will I be able to set that up in the pixielink or do I have to fill up all 32 universes/unit IDs on port 1 before it will carry over to port 2 for universe 33 to 64. I have 3 50x50 pixel matrixes that use 2500 pixels each that are now set up with 25 unit Id's per network with a pixie 16, Pixie 8 and a CCP 2. On the pixielink can I set it up to have a max universe of 26 for the first 3 ports and how do I set that up in my preview?

Each PixieLink Data Out Port supports 32 Unit ID's >  01-20....

In the PixieLink Configuration Page you will assign the Sent Universes ( 1-32 ) to the first Pixielink Network Port Unit ID's 1-20

Then for the second Pixielink you will assign the Sent Universes ( 33-64 ) to the second Pixielink Network Port Unit ID's 1-20

and so on... But you can just configure 25 Universes/Unit ID's per Output

Configuration Page Example:

Link Net 1 > Univ 1-32 > Unit ID's 1-20

Link Net 2 > Univ 33-64 > Unit ID's 1-20

Link Net 3 > Univ 65-96 > Unit ID's 1-20

or in your case

Link Net 1 > Univ 1-25 > Unit ID's 1-19

Link Net 2 > Univ 26-50 > Unit ID's 1-19

Link Net 3 > Univ 51-75 > Unit ID's 1-19

Edited by Jimehc

22 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

Each PixieLink Data Out Port supports 32 Unit ID's >  01-20....

In the PixieLink Configuration Page you will assign the Sent Universes ( 1-32 ) to the first Pixielink Network Port Unit ID's 1-20

Then for the second Pixielink you will assign the Sent Universes ( 33-64 ) to the second Pixielink Network Port Unit ID's 1-20

and so on... But you can just configure 25 Universes/Unit ID's per Output

Configuration Page Example:

Link Net 1 > Univ 1-32 > Unit ID's 1-20

Link Net 2 > Univ 33-64 > Unit ID's 1-20

Link Net 3 > Univ 65-96 > Unit ID's 1-20

or in your case

Link Net 1 > Univ 1-25 > Unit ID's 1-19

Link Net 2 > Univ 26-50 > Unit ID's 1-19

Link Net 3 > Univ 51-75 > Unit ID's 1-19

OK I get it now. The pixielink is supposed to be delivered today. In addition, My show has been shut down since Sunday because the show computers hard drive crashed. Today I have to install a new hard drive and operating system so once that is done I'm going all in on the pixielink. what other settings might I need to set in the Pixielink configuration? Thanks for the help.

I just started transferring the updated sequences to my laptop and just noticed I don't have a RJ45 plug on my laptop. Can the pixielink be connected via USB? other wise I get a new computer on the 21st, 

On 10/10/2024 at 11:19 AM, PhilMassey said:

Hey Phil. I ordered the adapter and it loaded fine but it can't find the Pixielink. I have tried every way from the http address to the IP address Number. I reset the pixielink to factory and nothing. I have run the windows network diagnostic and the response is always the same stating, "Your computer appears to be correctly configured but the device or resource (192.168.1.206) is not responding. Then I plugged the Pixielink to my Studio computer and got all the same messages. So it's not the Adapter with the laptop. What am I doing wrong?

I keep getting a message 

Windows diagnostics are usually useless.

What is the ip of the interface/computer. It needs to be in the same subnet as the pixlink. 192.168.1.xxx.

Never even seen a pixielink but I assume it's default is the 1.206 address. 

Are you trying to connect with a browser.

Windows diagnostics are usually useless.

What is the ip of the interface/computer. It needs to be in the same subnet as the pixlink. 192.168.1.xxx.

Never even seen a pixielink but I assume it's default is the 1.206 address. 

Are you trying to connect with a browser.

Yes. I finally got connected using the browser but I had to plug the Pixielink into my Router. the IP address for the Pixielink was 192.168.1.206.  I thought I could go Cat 5 out the computer to Cat 5 input on the pixielink. I got it configured but now I can't get a network connection set up in the Cottrol panel. I'm still working on it. It's a bit frustrating because the manual that cones with the Pixielink has no formation at all on how to set up the network. Fix it LOR. 

25 minutes ago, Box on Rails said:

Yes. I finally got connected using the browser but I had to plug the Pixielink into my Router. the IP address for the Pixielink was 192.168.1.206.  I thought I could go Cat 5 out the computer to Cat 5 input on the pixielink. I got it configured but now I can't get a network connection set up in the Cottrol panel. I'm still working on it. It's a bit frustrating because the manual that cones with the Pixielink has no formation at all on how to set up the network. Fix it LOR. 

Your router is providing 2 things:

1)A switch that in essence Flips Transmit and Rcv (A Null Modem CAT5 cable will do this)

2)DHCP IP network assignments. You could set a Static IP on the computer for stand alone operation.

Do you build your own CAT5 cables? Simply reverse the PLACEMENT of the Orange and Green PAIRS at 1 end

(Not a simple flip of the Wh and color)

Edited by TheDucks

12 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Your router is providing 2 things:

1)A switch that in essence Flips Transmit and Rcv (A Null Modem CAT5 cable will do this)

2)DHCP IP network assignments. You could set a Static IP on the computer for stand alone operation.

Do you build your own CAT5 cables? Simply reverse the PLACEMENT of the Orange and Green PAIRS at 1 end

(Not a simple flip of the Wh and color)

I don't build my CAT5 cables. I just posted for some help in another thread. I got it all configured but I don't know what I need to do to set up the network in S6

4 minutes ago, Box on Rails said:

I don't build my CAT5 cables. I just posted for some help in another thread. I got it all configured but I don't know what I need to do to set up the network in S6

I linked to a ready made flipper in the other thread ( I carry one of these in my Laptop bag for configuring offline devices), you just use it with a standard CAT5 cable

Just now, TheDucks said:

I linked to a ready made flipper in the other thread ( I carry one of these in my Laptop bag for configuring offline devices), you just use it with a standard CAT5 cable

Ok Thank you. but I'm still Lost as what is going on. I'll get that ordered right way. Do I plug one in my laptop and one in the Pixielink?

4 minutes ago, Box on Rails said:

Ok Thank you. but I'm still Lost as what is going on. I'll get that ordered right way. Do I plug one in my laptop and one in the Pixielink?

That is a 2 pack. You use ONE. Either end, really, but I would choose the Laptop end, for ease of changeover in the future.

Remember to set a static IP on the Laptop in the same range (192.168.1 ) Just don't use one that is in use elsewhere on the network.

Type netstat in a command window

You should see what YOUR computer is currently connected to (127 is 'LocalHost', used for inter-process coms)

C:\Users\thedu>netstat

Active Connections

Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
  TCP    10.0.0.21:49820        13.64.178.101:https    CLOSE_WAIT
  TCP    10.0.0.21:50057        STA01:6690             ESTABLISHED
  TCP    10.0.0.21:60777        13.66.142.100:8883     ESTABLISHED
  TCP    10.0.0.21:62113        20.42.144.52:https     ESTABLISHED
  TCP    10.0.0.21:62496        STA01:6690             TIME_WAIT
  TCP    10.0.0.21:62497        a23-62-46-69:https     ESTABLISHED
  TCP    10.0.0.21:62499        20.42.65.90:https      ESTABLISHED
  TCP    10.0.0.21:62500        4.249.200.148:https    ESTABLISHED
  TCP    10.0.0.21:62501        204.79.197.222:https   ESTABLISHED