Light-O-Rama Forums

RS485 Network Repeaters Sold OUT?

coachdove

Anyone know when LOR will have the Network repeaters back in stock?  It seems like it has been months since they had them available for sale and I need a couple for a large drive thru display than runs more than 4000 ft of network cable.

Are these Dumb or Smart displays (at the distant end)? ELL can jump larger distances (the signal regenerates, so you get another 4000' .

The slight issue, is they are slower than Pixels require.

It is a dumb display.  No pixels, just LED's.  I do have 1 pair of ELL's.  I thought they has to have a clear line of sight and be placed less than 100' from each other?

Didnt know they act as a repeater, as well.

33 minutes ago, coachdove said:

Didnt know they act as a repeater, as well.

Yep.  The other end of the ELL link starts a brand new 4,000 feet...

The regenerate (has a RS485 driver). While the dumb controllers have drivers. They don't affect (help) any other signal on the line.

They have a 1000' Line of sight  if off the ground by 8'

Trees reduce this. Solid walls can really take it down to 200'

They have 2 Jacks. They do NOT need to be at the computer. The 'master' should be place where it has the best shot at the receiver.

The last controller on those long cables should be terminated with 120 ohms (you will have to build your own as dumb controllers, or v1 Pixies,  do not have that jumper

They do need 9-12VDC, which can be from any controller less than 25' (of CAT5) away. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheDucks said:

They have 2 Jacks. They do NOT need to be at the computer. The 'master' should be place where it has the best shot at the receiver.

The last controller on those long cables should be terminated with 120 ohms (you will have to build your own as dumb controllers, or v1 Pixies,  do not have that jumper

They do need 9-12VDC, which can be from any controller less than 25' (of CAT5) away. 

So if I am understanding you correctly, because of the two jacks, I can use the ELL's as "Y" adapters to split the signal (one wireless signal from ELL to ELL, and one wired signal to the next controller)?

I use about 30 controllers throughout the drive thru display.  The longest run between controllers is about 400 on a cat5 cable I made from a spool and a crimping set for the jacks.  I already have 1 of the repeaters, but need another one to split and amplify the signal on the other side of the road.  Just bought the ELL to send signal across the road  without having to go underground or above through the trees, but if it will also serve as a splitter, that's even better.

Question: what do you mean by the long cables should be terminated with 120 ohms?  All my controllers are the old school LOR residential controllers.  NO pixels...smart or dumb... all LED strings.

RS485 is supposed to be Terminated at the ENDS. (like many things, it worked without following the rule... until it didn't) K6CCC and I knew of the rule from our jobs and did it the right way. 

The LOR USB adapter is ONE END and includes a termination for that end .   You normally Daisy chain LOR controllers (2 cables used) Only the Last controller has 1 cable. That is an END and should be terminated (for best noise immunity).  FWIW RS485 is used in Industrial control situations. It is robust when installed correctly.  There in no reason to NOT terminate properly.

Back to your other question.  Can I use a ELL as a wireless to wired Y? 

I don't really know. I don't USE them.

The manual shows 2 jacks but it always shows the ELL at ENDS 🙄 (1 jack used). It makes no mention of Termination (but none of the AC controllers do either). 

OTOH Jumping roads is just what they were for. Be sure to place both HIGH enough, so big metal objects (cars and trucks) do not pass directly in their path and disturb the signal.

OTOH The Repeater manual is a bit clearer (but never used the word Termination). It implies it ON THE ONE JACK side. The 2 jack side (is just like a controller) those 2 jacks are just connected together. (that implies 2 Terminations are needed. One at the ends of each cable PATH. If you use only 1 output, that one gets the terminator in the open jack.

There is nothing exotic about a Terminator. In days past, you could just pop down to a Radio Shack (or similar) and buy a 120 ohm 1/2 W resistor. Grab a old broken patch cable and cut off 6" of the good end and attach the resistor to the Blue pair (4-5)