Light-O-Rama Forums

Baldrick 8 Port Controller works on LOR?

Hello all again, 

I am getting 3000 5V bullet pixels from a friend and started thinking about controllers.  I have been all A/C at the moment.  I would like to put permanent lights under my eves as well as the many other uses Pixels have.  I found a controller on Gilbert engineering but i don't know if its compatible with my LOR system.  A review i watched says it is DDP only not E.31.  Does anyone know if LOR software is capable of DDP?  It looks like the board is ethernet based so i would need a switch in addition to my 485 network.  This is a really affordable board if it will work.  Looking forward to yall's feedback.  

Baldrick 8 Port Controller

5V and eaves on a single controller?  You are going to need a lot of power injection because of the distance.  ED = I * R

At least, they are bullet pixels, so they have wires

1 hour ago, gsmith37064 said:

LOR supports sACN/ArtNet in the network control panel. Which this controller seems to be.

https://baldrickboard.com/docs/baldrick8/web-interface/data-settings

Thank you this is all new to me.  Seems like too good of a deal compared to $99 for a board at the store here.  

59 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

5V and eaves on a single controller?  You are going to need a lot of power injection because of the distance.  ED = I * R

At least, they are bullet pixels, so they have wires

I am planning injection every 16 feet or so, 50 pixels is what i'm told it can run before drop. If i am injecting every 2 sections that really about 10' of travel each way.  i am getting 3000 pixels for $400 so i don't think that's a bad price.  He paid about $700.  I realize that 12V has become standard now that Solid state voltage regulation has eliminated a lot of heat loss and wasted power.  I am guessing about 60' of eves each way.  My source is about in the middle of my house.  Also what about a buck boost converter circuit inline to keep the voltage right?

Any economical suggestions for channel?

The best one I've seen so far is 2x3 vinyl down spout ripped in half and drilled by hand.  I have seen people use 1" vinyl siding J channel but its as expensive and Holiday Coro channel.  The issue I see is will birds and bees build nests in the channel? 

LOR does NOT support DDP.  It is E1.31 only - and of course LOR or DMX over RS-485.

8 hours ago, Dr_Aplet said:

I am planning injection every 16 feet or so, 50 pixels is what i'm told it can run before drop.

I inject power at the bottom of each of each branch of my pixel tree, which is a string of 50 5v (square) nodes. The color and brightness is good all the way to the top.

On 8/23/2024 at 2:54 PM, k6ccc said:

LOR does NOT support DDP.  It is E1.31 only - and of course LOR or DMX over RS-485.

I wasn't sure about that, if LOR supported that or not.  Im still confused.  since i am still ignorant on these matters i will have to educate myself and find out what these mean other that they are a communication protocol. 

27 minutes ago, Dr_Aplet said:

I wasn't sure about that, if LOR supported that or not.  Im still confused.  since i am still ignorant on these matters i will have to educate myself and find out what these mean other that they are a communication protocol. 

When in doubt... email the vendor. If it turns out that it supports E1.31 then you are good to go.

On 8/23/2024 at 11:40 AM, gsmith37064 said:

LOR supports sACN/ArtNet in the network control panel. Which this controller seems to be.

https://baldrickboard.com/docs/baldrick8/web-interface/data-settings

On 8/27/2024 at 12:43 PM, gsmith37064 said:

When in doubt... email the vendor. If it turns out that it supports E1.31 then you are good to go.

So what I found online is e1.31 is the sCAN network... And the Baldrick board supports sCAN secondarily. Therefore if that is correct LOR and Baldrick should play together. 

https://baldrickboard.com/docs/baldrick8/introduction  supports E1.31

7 hours ago, Dr_Aplet said:

So what I found online is e1.31 is the sCAN network... And the Baldrick board supports sCAN secondarily. Therefore if that is correct LOR and Baldrick should play together. 

https://baldrickboard.com/docs/baldrick8/introduction  supports E1.31

I posted up above about the settings in the controller talking about E1.31 protocol as well.

*DDP, Artnet, E1.31 & sACN compatible

It's only $65. Worst case, you can reuse the case, power supply, and pig tails with another controller if it does not work. Give it a go and post back your findings.

This card talks about refresh rates... Does anyone understand what this would be when it comes to our light shows?

12 hours ago, gsmith37064 said:

I posted up above about the settings in the controller talking about E1.31 protocol as well.

*DDP, Artnet, E1.31 & sACN compatible

It's only $65. Worst case, you can reuse the case, power supply, and pig tails with another controller if it does not work. Give it a go and post back your findings.

This card talks about refresh rates... Does anyone understand what this would be when it comes to our light shows?

GSmith thank you.  i was unsure because you didnt say E1.31 and i did not know that sCAN is E1.31.  This is just the board and does not include pig-tales power supply or anything.  compared to the others i've seen.  Thanks all for the support.

11 hours ago, Dr_Aplet said:

GSmith thank you.  i was unsure because you didnt say E1.31 and i did not know that sCAN is E1.31.  This is just the board and does not include pig-tales power supply or anything.  compared to the others i've seen.  Thanks all for the support.

When you configure it in the control panel\networks, you will select E1.31\sCAN settings.

Keep in mind that by the time you pickup the case, power supply, pigtails, etc, your price will closer to the $150-$175 range for the controller. But you can reuse those parts with a another card. Also make sure you have the red/black wires correct when you go to plug in the power. Some of the power supplies have a 110/220 switch. Make sure it's set correctly.

I don't know what ends you have on your lights, make sure the pigtails you get are for your lights. They are NOT interchangeable.

Just remember that none of us have played with that card. Your best bet is to still email the vendor.