Light-O-Rama Forums

Mattos EVO Pixels

gsmith37064

Has anyone played with these yet?

https://mattosdesigns.com/products/evo-pixels?variant=45668249272620

It looks like you can get a long run of 300 pixels per node with the same power consumption as standard 12mm 50 string pixel node... if I did my math right.

They fit in all the current mega strips, pixel boards, coro, etc from all the major vendors.

Posted (edited)

I used them in strings of 300 without issue last year except they were harder to install in some props. But that was year one, so perhaps may be improved. 

Edited by yffej151963
Typo

1 hour ago, yffej151963 said:

I used them in strings of 300 without issue last year except they were harder to install in some props. But that was year one, so perhaps may be improved. 

What type of controller and power supply did you use? How many pixels total on the controller? I assume 300 pixels per pigtail?

How was the color? What about the brightness of the pixels? Did each strand come with a x-connect pigtail?

I just order a bunch of EVO pixels for this year. Should arrive in June.

17 minutes ago, Vince4xmas said:

I just order a bunch of EVO pixels for this year. Should arrive in June.

Any clue on what the difference is between the EVO and EVO+ pixels besides $3? The description is the same for both types. I did email them and currently awaiting a reply on it.

I did see they should be shipping mid June. Once I get my answer, I will be pulling the trigger on 35-40 strands of 100 pixels each.

If I can get 170 per port, that would be great. I think that's the limit of most controllers.

Looks like the EVOs are WS2811B, and the pluses are 4-wire HS-2348RGB B Protocol

5 hours ago, Tim Fischer said:

Looks like the EVOs are WS2811B, and the pluses are 4-wire HS-2348RGB B Protocol

Thanks for the info. I see it in the description now. Looks like it's the standard EVO pixels for me then.

Yeah, I don't know anything about that protocol, such as if it's compatible with WS281x (WS2815 is a 4-wire protocol that is, as you only need 3 wires for the string start)

Just got this reply back from Mattos:

The EVO Pixel has 3 wires, power, data, and ground. Where the EVO+ has 4 wires. power, data, data, and ground. The double data wire is for data redundancy. Meaning, if a pixels goes out or does not pass data, the data will go to the next EVO and the rest of the string will continue to work. 

On 5/7/2024 at 6:41 PM, gsmith37064 said:

What type of controller and power supply did you use? How many pixels total on the controller? I assume 300 pixels per pigtail?

How was the color? What about the brightness of the pixels? Did each strand come with a x-connect pigtail?

Sorry for the slow reply. I was out of town. I used a a genius 16 controller and falconv3. Yes they were xconnect. 

Btw.... I didn't use them via lor. I run a mix of lor and xlights..

Edited by yffej151963