Light-O-Rama Forums

Voltage output for Power Supply for Pixie16D

Orville

Okay, I tried searching for this, but kept getting 0 results, yet **I KNOW** this has been discussed in these forums before.  I read them, but can't seem to locate them using thecsearch option.

I bought 60Watt 50Amp 12V power supplies for a Pixie16D board, and I know I read that most folks usually set the voltage higher than 12VDC due to voltage fluctuations.  

I'm just not sure how high above 12VDC output.  Is it 13.5VDC, 14VDC, or 15VDC output?

I don't want to set it too high or damage the Pixie16D, so any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

I assume you really meant a 600 watt power supply....

The voltage is entirely dependent on what the pixels need - not the Pixie.  You are likely safe with 13.5, but I would not go much over that.  I would target about 13.2 (10% over rated 12.0).  See if the pixels show a voltage range (good luck with that...)

Or if you meant a 360w power supply that would be a 30 amp.

Personally I usually dial my power supplies in around 12.8v.

@k6cccYes, I hit 0 twice, but apparently the 2nd 0 didn't take.  Yes, it is a 600 Watt 50 Amp 12VDC output power supply.  Bought it from Amazon.

Kind of hoping with that rating I could possibly get away with using only one power supply for the Pixie16D instead of 2. 

Since it has 3 terminals for V+ and 3 for V-, other power supplies I viewed only had 1 V+ and V-.  I'll hold that 13.2VDC[written down, future reference], if MR. P's suggested 12.8VDC doesn't work out.

@Mr. P: No, it is 600 Watts, 2nd 0 didn't take when I typed original message and I didn't catch that mistake.  Thanks for the info.  I'll set it to 12.8VDC, that sounds reasonable to me.  Sure don't want to pop any pixels and let the "magic smoke" out.🤣🤣🤣

Thank you folks, much appreciated!🙂

Late to the party, but I set mine to 1/2 the tolerance or 5%. That allows for load regulation variations.  Tho I believe 13.2 would be safe (12+10%)

15 hours ago, TheDucks said:

Late to the party, but I set mine to 1/2 the tolerance or 5%. That allows for load regulation variations.  Tho I believe 13.2 would be safe (12+10%)

Thanks.  I may go with the higher voltage rate, not to exceed that 13.2V.