Light-O-Rama Forums

Do I need to restore from a backup and re-install LOR S6?

rick gurnee

I've run into a problem that is all of my doing, but I would like some guidance on how to resolve it. First, all of my LOR files are located on one drive (L:) and I back this whole drive up periodically. The last good backup was in December.

I am adding some P5 panels this year and will ne running a raspberry Pi with a color light card. I'm still learning a lot about this and I did not set up FPP on the Pi correctly. I had the Gateway on the Pi Ethernet pointing to my wi-fi router. Although this was wrong I was actually able to run some LOR sequences. With the help of k6ccc I now have the Pi set up correctly. However, I believe I have corrupted something in the LOR software. When I run a sequence, using the Windows task manager, I can see the data being send via the Ethernet connection to my panels. However, I also see the data being sent across wi-fi. I first thought this was simply a problem with the Preview because I had a different sequence using a different Preview that worked fine. In fact, if I changed the second sequence to use the first Preview I get the wi-fi problem. If I change back to the second Preview, the wi-fi problem goes away. I tried restoring the first Preview and the sequence from my December backup and I still get the problem. I tried exporting a single prop from the first Preview (one that had nothing to do with the P5 panels) and importing it into the second Preview and the wi-fi problem started happening.

I think the only thing to do is to completely restore the L: drive from the December backup. However, I think I should also re-install LOR S6. Also, I remember somebody mentioning a program that will clean the registry of all LOR information. Does that exist for S6?

I think my plan will be 1) uninstall S6. 2) delete everything on the L: drive 3) restore L: from the December backup 4) reinstall S6.

Does anyone have any suggestions that is a little less drastic than this?

LOR Registry Wipe:

http://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/4.4.0/LORRegistryWipe.exe

https://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/5.3.2/help/registry_wipe.htm

I can't tell, but I think you have to request it from helpdesk now? Can someone confirm this? The above link still works though.

Edited by gsmith37064

It looks like in v6 you get it from the help desk.  I'm not sure I want to use the v4 or v5 version of it.  If I decide I need it, I'll contact the help desk.

If your S6 install is on the local drive, and IMO it should be, I can't see why or how you could corrupt the program files, but an uninstall and reinstall is a trivial 5 minute process. I have never known it to mess with any of the datafiles unless you tell it to.I Even Regwipe doesn't wipe data files.. I used to run all my data on a network drive and it worked fine but as files got larger and larger the delays started to add up, so I went back to local with a copy of the entire LOR folder on the L drive which is also Dropboxed.

Now, messing up the Preview is relatively easy which is why I back mine in multiple places. and I am VERY careful to always work on a copy of the Sequence and the Preview when making major changes or changes which might be problematic.

Yes, everything is on the local drive, even the L: drive is local.  To be honest, I don't know what I've corupted.  I was sure that restoring the Preview would fix the issue, but it didn't.  I guess, I figured if I was going to restore the L: drive where all of my data is, I might as well reinstall LOR S6, too.  It can't hurt.  I'm just tired of seeing all of that activity on the wi-fi.

Not sure if this is what you are seeing, but this is a post from a while ago which was never resolved.

As I mentioned on the phone, there was a discussion a while back about S6 doing exactly what you were talking about - sending E1.31 data on more than the required LAN in the case of a show computer with more than one LAN.  I personally see that on both my show computer (primary home LAN, and E1.31 LAN), and my server which runs the landscaping show off season (currently the same two LANs).  I don't have WiFi on either of those computers, but the two wired LANs show this problem.  I have never WireSharked the data on the wrong LAN to see where it's going, but in my case, it won't get very far.  Traffic on the home LAN that is trying to get to the E1.31 LAN won't get through the firewall in my router.  Note that my sequencing computer (main family room PC) CAN get from the home LAN to the E1.31 LAN in order to access my E1.31 controllers configuration web pages, and to send E1.31 data when I'm testing stuff.

I agree that a uninstall, RegWipe, and Re-Install is easy enough to do, and won't hurt anything.  Go for it!

Your local data files on your L: drive (did you get that drive letter idea from me?) should be OK.  If you really are concerned, rename the entire directory structure to a backup (include the date), and let the software create a new directory structure.  That way all your data, sequence, and common files are saved locally.

The thread Phil linked is the one I Was talking about in my first paragraph.

Yes, that sounds very much like what I am seeing.  Maybe it has always been happening for me and I didn't cause it by screing up my FPP configuration.  Now the question is: Why is it happening and will it affect performance.  I honestly didn't understand everything that was said in Phil's post but it doesn't sound like people are too worried.  My main concern is performance.  I don't have my large p5 panel done, yet, so the load test I tried that got me started on this problem might be invalid.  I should be able to do a legitimate load test by May 1st.  At that time, if I have performance issues, I will dig deeper into this.  Right now, I don't plan on restoring my data or re-installing S6 because it appears I'm not the only one having this issue.

Phil, my setup is very much like yours: wired subnet 001 and wi-fi subnet 254.  In my case I'm seeing upto 15Mbps on the wi-fi.

I believe there are two, probably unrelated, issues.  First, why is there any traffic on wi-fi network and second why doesn't the traffic (on both wired and wi-fi)  stop when a sequence is done.

I will look more carefully at the sequence/Preview where it appears this is not happening.  Maybe that will give a clue as to what makes it happen.

I've seen no detrimental effect on my show and to be honest had forgotten about it until your post reminded me of it.

Still irritating though.