Light-O-Rama Forums

Insomnia = Crazy Internet purchases?

Sctiger

Is it just me or does insomnia do this to you too? In the pre dawn hours, a refurbished  27" Samsung curved monitor for $113 seemed like a no brainer. 

Also, I'm looking to replace my show computer. What are some things I should look for? 

A dedicated show computer does not take all that much.  A sequencing computer does need more horse power and good video capability (especially if sequencing LOTS of channels).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

A dedicated show computer does not take all that much.  A sequencing computer does need more horse power and good video capability (especially if sequencing LOTS of channels).

I basically use the same computer for both. It's been ages since I knew halfway about computers. Should I be looking at the "gaming" models? Side note: I also use the Abobe Suite (mainly Illustrator) for my woodworking hobby.

Buy as much CPU as your budget allows and at least 16GB of ram. A good TB SSD is pretty cheap nowadays. M.2 drives are generally the fastest. A good middle of the road graphics card will be fine. No need for gaming extremes. I personally prefer a desktop over a laptop. Expandable and longer lifetime. I build my own, but pre-built are ok, just be sure of what's inside.

• Thanks 1

As Phil was just saying, I agree with him. My usual suggestion is to take the maximum amount of money you are going to spend for a computer...get the fastest, fanciest thing you can find with all the bells and whistles the cash will get you. Don't go over "just because". I'm an avid fan of giving the computer as many/much resources to work with such as memory, good or better CPU's and a serious motherboard but a decent video card helps a lot. As Phil said, no need for a formal gaming system unless you are into gaming, then by all means! A decent workstation with enhanced video capabilities will work nicely.

• Thanks 1