Light-O-Rama Forums

trouble with understanding universe usage

RKW Nevada Lights

I have a prop that has 183 pixels in it I use holidaycoro controller board powered by Light o Rama. It can only handle 170 pixels per universe. my question is can I use 13 pixels from a different universe to make up the 183? What I mean is I have 3 arches that have a total of 150 pixels can I use the pixels that are not used for that prop and add them to the prop were I need 183 pixels? If This is possible, how can I accomplish this task. I hope I made this clear and you can understand it.

Thanks.

1 hour ago, RKW Nevada Lights said:

I have a prop that has 183 pixels in it I use holidaycoro controller board powered by Light o Rama. It can only handle 170 pixels per universe.

The 170 pixel limit is the DMX spec.  To be picky, the DMX spec for a universe is 512 channels, but that comes out to 170 pixels (with two channels left over).

1 hour ago, RKW Nevada Lights said:

my question is can I use 13 pixels from a different universe to make up the 183? What I mean is I have 3 arches that have a total of 150 pixels can I use the pixels that are not used for that prop and add them to the prop were I need 183 pixels?

You COULD, but there is VERY little reason to do so.  It also depends on the controllers involved.  If the 183 pixel prop is being controlled by the same controller as the arches, and the controller is capable (most can), you can split things around.  If the Arches are on a different controller, you are FAR better not to try to share universes between controllers.

By default in the LOR software, if for example the first 170 pixels is Universe 11, the remaining 13 pixels will be Universe 12.