Light-O-Rama Forums

Has Super Star basically been replaced?

Glennz

I have not used LOR for a few years now and am helping a friend that's getting into it. I used to use Super Star to create auto sequences. I see most everything now refers to motion effects and there are no posts for quite a while on the Super Star forum. I see its still for sale but is anyone still using it?

Absolutely yes.  I have used SuperStar for essentially my entire show since 2012 and still do.  I essentially do not use any auto-sequencing.  Lots of us still use SuperStar.

SuperStar still does effects that are unique. The new "morph" motion effect duplicates that part of SuperStar, but the "explosion" effect in SuperStar is still unique.

I have Superstar pro with 60 CCR I have not used it since the S6 software came out. I started fading away from Superstar when S5 introduced Motion effects rows. Most of what I could do in Superstar I have found Motion effects that can do the same and the Motion Effects editor keeps getting better. Superstar is a good program and I guess if a person has been using it for a long time it will get the job done. In my opinion Motion effects are a lot more user friendly. but that's just my opinion. I'm pretty sure I can make any effect in S6 using motion effects rows that are made in SS. I have created effects using the Motion Effects editor that I'm Pretty sure cannot be made in Superstar. This has been my experience having used both. 

Motion Effects are very good at doing something at the prop level (i.e. I want this fire effect across the entire prop), but not so good at the pixel or small portions of a prop.  SuperStar shines at the latter.

At least for me, I since essentially ALL of my sequencing is in SuperStar, it would have to completely re-sequence my entire show to move it all to Motion Effects.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, k6ccc said:

Motion Effects are very good at doing something at the prop level (i.e. I want this fire effect across the entire prop), but not so good at the pixel or small portions of a prop.  SuperStar shines at the latter.

At least for me, I since essentially ALL of my sequencing is in SuperStar, it would have to completely re-sequence my entire show to move it all to Motion Effects.

Motion Effects are good for the general user. If you want really good effects though, you would need to spend hours inside of the effect generator. Been there and done that... Just to scrap it and go back to channel level for that portion of the beat. I can tell a difference in doing the same effect via motion row vs channel level. Channel level wins out.

I do wish I knew something about SuperStar. Some of the effects that it can produce would be great on certain props. - looking at you Dan! lol

Edited by gsmith37064
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, gsmith37064 said:

Motion Effects are good for the general user. If you want really good effects though, you would need to spend hours inside of the effect generator. Been there and done that... Just to scrap it and go back to channel level for that portion of the beat. I can tell a difference in doing the same effect via motion row vs channel level. Channel level wins out.

I do wish I knew something about SuperStar. Some of the effects that it can produce would be great on certain props. - looking at you Dan! lol

So are all of your matrix sequences done only in S6? I would have thought you were using SS for those.

22 minutes ago, ebrown1972 said:

So are all of your matrix sequences done only in S6? I would have thought you were using SS for those.

The matrix work is done in SS. I am not a SS person. That would be Dan.

• Like 1

In my case, the P5 and P10 matrix panels are the only things that are not sequenced in SuperStar.  The only reason for that was that there was not a SuperStar license large enough for my P5 matrix.  There is now, I have the larger license, and for 2023 I did sequence a few pieces with SuperStar.  For the most part, the only thing I do with the P5 and P10 matrix panels is my TuneTo information as shown below (hanging in my family room for storage).

Matrix_panels_hanging_close-up.jpg

http://www.newburghlights.org/photos/Matrix_panels_hanging_close-up.jpg

Yes, all of our matrix work for BlownBulbSequences is done using SuperStar. I've worked on a few sequences using the insert SS effect, which creates too many small files. So I spend all my time in SS to create the matrix file. Works liek a champ for what we do at blownBulbSequences.com. -Daniel

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Terpsmurf said:

I've worked on a few sequences using the insert SS effect, which creates too many small files.

My solution to the many small files is that the entire sequence for all props is done as a single "Insert SuperStar Effects".  That does still result in a new .avi file for each edit, but there is only one active .avi file and the older versions can be deleted.