Light-O-Rama Forums

Audio Motion Effect doesn't work (how is music sequence AudioAnalysisLevel set?)

Brad Stucky

Ok, here is an odd issue for someone to figure out.  For this year I have a new Dell SFF Plus 7010 with a 14th gen i7. (Windows 11 pro)   I also acquired an older Dell Optiplex 3050 (7th gen i5) for a show computer. (Windows 10 Pro)   LOR 6 was installed clean on both machines.  I also have an even-older Dell Optiplex 9020 (4th gen i7 Windows 10 Home) that I used to create/edit sequences last year.  LOR 6 was installed on it to upgrade from lor 5.  I copied all my sequences from old 9020 to this new 7010 computer in order to edit changes in this years display with the intent to retire the 9020.  Everything seemed to be working fine until I created a NEW song sequence for this year. I discovered that when I attempted to use the Audio Motion Effect, the Wave Styles were the only ones that would work.   The Spectrum Style would not work at all.   I thought this was strange since the existing audio motion effects of the sequences from last year work and edit just fine on the newer computer.  I copied the newly created sequence from the new 7010 computer to the older computer and discovered that the Audio Motion effect wouldn't work on the older computer, either.  I then recreated from scratch, a new sequence file on the older computer using the same audio file and copied it back to the new computer and the Audio Motion Effect worked fine.   I discovered the same issue with the Dell 3050 show computer as well.  (The common factor in both is a clean install of LOR 6.)  So it seems if I create a new sequence on the new computer or the show computer, I can't use the audio motion effect but if the sequence was originally created on my older computer, I can.  The sequencer right-click advanced tool "insert at audio level" works and the audio parameters available in the Motion Effects Editor for many of the other motion effects also seem to be fine.   Only the Wave Style selection of the Audio Motion Effect works on the newer computers with a clean install of LOR 6.  Since I was able to work-around this, it wasn't an issue for this year.   I just transferred the sequence to the old computer and copy/pasted the timing and sequence data from that to a sequence created on the older computer.

After Christmas, I dug into this a little more and created "identical" music sequences on the 9020 and the 7010. I loaded both into notepad to look for differences.  I noticed an id difference and the AudioAnalysisLevel is different.  The working version of the sequence shows the AudioAnalysisLevel to be "3" whereas the non-working version shows it to be "0"     I edited the non-working version from 0 to 3 and now the Audio Effect functions correctly in that sequence.    Resetting to "0" caused the problem to return.  How is this variable set and how can I prevent this problem on new sequences?

I believe you will find the setting for Spectrogram under the  Sequence/Sequence Info menu. There are several settings under Audio info. You may need to close and reopen SE after changing the setting. At least that was true several versions ago.

The higher the setting, the longer it will take to process. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

I believe you will find the setting for Spectrogram under the  Sequence/Sequence Info menu. There are several settings under Audio info. You may need to close and reopen SE after changing the setting. At least that was true several versions ago.

The higher the setting, the longer it will take to process. 

Thanks Phil.  That seems to have addressed the issue.  I wonder how I never had trouble with this before.  I have a special prop I made just to use the Spectrum effect and I don't recall ever having to adjust that in previous sequences.  I guess if that sets the default, I probably did it once and totally forgot about it.  Thanks again.

Note that you can set the "Audio Information" field when creating a new musical sequence, near the bottom of the window.

https://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/6.2.18/help/new_musical_sequence.htm

Also, note that the "Audio Information" field is stored separately for each sequence. When you change it on the Sequence Info screen, you are only changing it for that sequence. There is no need to restart the Sequencer, but you will need to reopen the sequence.

12 hours ago, MattBrown said:

Note that you can set the "Audio Information" field when creating a new musical sequence, near the bottom of the window.

https://www1.lightorama.com/downloads/6.2.18/help/new_musical_sequence.htm

Also, note that the "Audio Information" field is stored separately for each sequence. When you change it on the Sequence Info screen, you are only changing it for that sequence. There is no need to restart the Sequencer, but you will need to reopen the sequence.

Thanks, Matt.   Somehow, I missed that part at the bottom of that window.  I'm guessing that I set that on my older computer as default and totally forgot about it and when I installed LOR 6 on my new computer, I simply forgot to set that parameter.  That would explain the difference I had in creating new sequences on the new vs the old computer.  Thanks again and I must say this past Christmas show went as slick as any year I have done in the past (18 years) and all the features that have been added really make the latest version of software a joy to use.

• Like 1