Light-O-Rama Forums

How to communicate with third-party controllers

Capt Ike

Hello everyone! I hope everyone had a great Christmas and I'm sure, like me, everyone is getting ready for next season.  So I've tried looking for this answer in the manuals, forums, and the inter-web and have been unsuccessful in finding an answer.  I currently have a Pixcon 16 that is maxed out and for next year I'm adding more pixels (big surprise, right?).  I see where the Pixcon is being replaced by the Aurora Core Controller, but I have also been shopping for other non-LOR controllers.  My question is this...I know that the other controllers (Falcon, Genius, etc) have their own web-interface config screens to set themselves up, but where do I tell the LOR sequencer to look for that controller and send commands to it? I've looked in the control panel, and I don't see any area for non-LOR stuff.  I'm sure it's simple as I can read the forums and see lots of people using other controllers, but I need a little direction on how to make them talk to one another.  Thanks in advance!

The E1.31 controllers use DMX over ethernet to send lighting commands. They will plug into your ethernet port on your computer and NOT the USB to RS485 LOR adaptor. They will use dmx universes in the prop setup in Preview and Control Panel instead of unit id's. Unlike the Pixcon which has jack's for both signal types, the pure E1.31 boards just have ethernet, and some,(Falcon for example) have a two port ethernet switch and can be daisy chained.

One ethernet network can support many thousands of pixels.

The third party controllers connect just like using the Pixcon16 in E1.31 mode. You configure them as DMX networks on the show computer by giving the IP address of the controllers and the universe numbers.

If you're currently using the PixCon16 on your LOR network, then you need add a new E1.31 network by using an Ethernet interface on the show computer. Third party controllers don't speak the LOR network protocol.

I probably should’ve specified that my current configuration uses the Pixcon in E1.31 mode and it works like a champ. I have a ethernet network setup for it separate from an LOR network (which I also use with some older AC controllers) and all is well. I’m fairly confident with the network side of things, but am a little lost with the software side of it. Am I understanding correctly that by simply defining the props and universes in the sequencer is all I need to do to send commands to the controllers? I would then define which universes are on which ports in the hardware config screen for the controllers…is that correct? If that’s correct, that would also mean that I wouldn’t have to configure anything in LOR’s control center, no?

You will open the controllers web interface in a browser by entering its ip address and tell it the type and number of pixels or channels for each port plus the connection info such as unicast and ip address.

In Control panel, in the network tab select E1.31 and tell it the ip address and  universe. I recommend you use a fixed Ip address and not multicast.

In the Preview you will use DMX for the network and  the universes you assigned to the ip address above.

I have a separate network for my E1.31 stuff using a separate NIC in my desktop. 

Ok, I that sounds good Phil. I appreciate the help. One last thing…as I’m researching controllers, I’m reading about DDP protocol and am liking the fact that many more pixels can be used on each output. Is LOR sequencer capable of using this or is that something that is not a feature yet?

I believe some controllers are starting to support DDP. Falcon, I think does probably with a firmware update. I don't know but I suspect LOR does not as of yet, but it's early days.

2 minutes ago, PhilMassey said:

I believe some controllers are starting to support DDP. Falcon, I think does probably with a firmware update. I don't know but I suspect LOR does not as of yet, but it's early days.

Sounds good, thanks again!

And LOR does not have the ability to generate DDP packets.