Light-O-Rama Forums

Attachment sizes

Darrell

What determines the size of allowed attachments to posts in the Forum?  Does this change daily or is there some limit?  I was going to post a note with pictures of my new DIY pixel stakes in The Midway section.  However, the new topic box shows that the "Max total size: 27.08 kB" is now the limit for any attachments.  2 days ago I was able to add JPG's that were about 300 kB in size.  A limit of 27 kB does not let me add even JPGs where I have reduced the size and resolution.  

You have a finite amount of storage. Once you post something that's 50k, it's reduced from your forever total. 

The provider of the hosting for the forums charges a not nice sum of money for more storage. As such LOR has decided not to pay the fees. There are a number of ways you can share images though. Many link from Dropbox, or other photo sharing services. 

I have never seen this before.  Can I go back to older posts and remove/delete the photos that were added then?  Would this "restore" part of my forever limit?

Yes it does - if you can actually remove it.  Far better to upload the pictures and graphics to a website and post a link.  Lots of mostly free locations you can upload a file.  There are also paid locations.  For example, the photo below is actually being stored on Google Drive.  One thing to keep in mind is to make sure the file is shared.  For example using Google Drive as an example, if I upload a photo, by default only I can access it.  However I can share it in several ways from within Google Drive.  The photo below is set to that anyone with the link can access the file (even if that person does not have any sort of Google account).  If you have  a show website, that is generally a good place to post pictures.  BTW, I recommend NOT using facecrap, because generally that does require someone have a facecrap account, and there are many people who will NOT under any circumstances get a facecrap account.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CMBo5F0DDQyyCDDtogx4Gb1bgsJ_q_q1/view?usp=sharing

21 hours ago, k6ccc said:

Far better to upload the pictures and graphics to a website and post a link.

Except, it's not. Some of us lived though the whole Photobucket thing. Photobucket used to be the defacto place to host photos for forums. Then one day they decided it would be nice to start making money, and they eliminated their free plan, and stopped serving all those free images. Thousands if not millions of web forum posts suddenly became useless without their photo context.

This is a danger when you link images. A lot of time people will use their own personal web space, or a Google drive, or whatever, and then eventually they'll clean that up and the forum posts break forever. 

I get that companies have to control costs, but this is unfortunate.

You are absolutely correct Tim.  I never used Photobucket, but remember that fiasco.  I agree that it is best to have the graphics on the forum, but this forum essentially does not allow that, so posting elsewhere and posting a link is the best alternative - and gives the ability to have more than one or two small graphics ever.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Darrell said:

What determines the size of allowed attachments to posts in the Forum?  Does this change daily or is there some limit?  I was going to post a note with pictures of my new DIY pixel stakes in The Midway section.  However, the new topic box shows that the "Max total size: 27.08 kB" is now the limit for any attachments.  2 days ago I was able to add JPG's that were about 300 kB in size.  A limit of 27 kB does not let me add even JPGs where I have reduced the size and resolution.  

Go to your profile, then select "my attachments".  It will show you everything you have attached to the forums and a horizontal bar graph will show how much (%) you have used and what's left (%) of the 500k limit allowed.  You can delete one or all attachments to regain some or all 500k allotted space.

Like others, I have started using my Google Drive account to host my photos on the forums. 

I tried Microsofts OneDrive online storage drive, but it NEVER would allow ANY of my photos(or videos) to show on the forums, nor did the associated links from the MS online storage ever work, even though they were set to public and open sharing, it always wanted the viewer to log into an MS email account to view, what's the point of sharing and making a photo/video public, if they require one to log into an MS account to view them?  Very dumb and stupid.

Google's Drive has worked perfectly for me for photo's, haven't tried videoes as yet.

But Outlook/Hotmail OneDrive was a total no-go!

Edited by Orville

Am I being dense? All I have managed is to post a Link to GD. Nothing I tried actually shows them inline.

23 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

Am I being dense? All I have managed is to post a Link to GD. Nothing I tried actually shows them inline.

I've never figured out why, but sometimes it will imbed them and sometimes just shows the link.  I noted on my example a few posts above that it just showed a link.  When I put graphics onto my show website, it imbeds them - unless your browser barfs over it because my show website is not secure (I need to fix that one of these days).  But that is why I always include a direct link in addition to the photo.  For example:

Front_of_House_2018-12-03.jpg

http://www.newburghlights.org/photos/Front_of_House_2018-12-03.jpg

2 hours ago, Tim Fischer said:

Some of us lived though the whole Photobucket thing. Photobucket used to be the defacto place to host photos for forums. Then one day they decided it would be nice to start making money, and they eliminated their free plan, and stopped serving all those free images. Thousands if not millions of web forum posts suddenly became useless without their photo context.

Yeah, and I'm one of them, I had a blog on another site from about 15 years ago that had 300+K views and something like 10K posts with a LOT of pictures since it was about finishing my basement into a home theater and the running motto was "if there are no pictures, it didn't happen."

Going to my profile and selecting "My Attachments" does allow me to select and delete older JPGs from older posts.  I have deleted a few of the larger photos that really did not add anything to the discussion.  I now have 236 kB of allowed space left vs the 27 kB that was showing.  If I am aware of the storage limit, I can limit the file sizes of any JPG attachments to post some new content.  This is better than getting completely locked from having any photos on any posts.  While there might now be bad links on older posts, having this option at least makes me manage and choose actual JPGs vs links based on how much it would add to the discussion on that post.  I wish there was a better option but at least there is an option.

I'm shocked that in 2024 there are really that many worries about web space. This isn't exactly a hugely active forum...

1 hour ago, Tim Fischer said:

I'm shocked that in 2024 there are really that many worries about web space. This isn't exactly a hugely active forum...

It was stated that the forum host site (colo? or shared server) wanted $$. Also remember that text network traffic is low compared to images. This way, only the link is passed to the browser, the real bulk is on those sites network connection. Also remember Comcast (and others) charge lots more for business internet service (A friend  was having issues at their store, I got thing going and thought things were very pokey. I ran a speed test (my laptop), and was shocked: 56K on Cable (same router). Turns out they were paying more for that line, than I was for my 400Mbps down the street.

48 minutes ago, TheDucks said:

It was stated that the forum host site (colo? or shared server) wanted $$. Also remember that text network traffic is low compared to images. This way, only the link is passed to the browser, the real bulk is on those sites network connection. Also remember Comcast (and others) charge lots more for business internet service (A friend  was having issues at their store, I got thing going and thought things were very pokey. I ran a speed test (my laptop), and was shocked: 56K on Cable (same router). Turns out they were paying more for that line, than I was for my 400Mbps down the street.

And if they can't get the $$ one way, the next would be seeing a bunch of useless advertising staring us in the face after entering a post, answering one, creating a new one or just changing to a different forum, and possibly even set to pop up an ad after reading a specific nunber of posts, get an ad, repeat, another ad.....and so on.

No thanks, the way the forum works now is perfectly fine with me. 

I loathe ad happy apps on my phone, on TV and now YouTube as well.  These ads have gotten far too LONG and many are also way too repetitive and EXCESSIVE, abd many on both YouTube and TV ARE SCAMS too!

Edited by Orville

6 hours ago, TheDucks said:

I know how websites work lol. I'm also on a lot of web forums, most of them not sponsored by an actual company, and which get a lot more traffic, that have no such restrictions on uploading (I'm sure they have some, but not the tiny amount available here)

I stand by my original statement: I'm shocked that in 2024 there are really that many worries about web space. 

• Like 2

This forum is hosted by Invision Community (as you can see from the link at the bottom of the page). They use Amazon Web Services (AWS) as their hosting provider. AWS charges for storage and bandwidth, which is why Invision passes different prices based on that.

Light-O-Rama's main web page is hosted by turbify.com, which also uses AWS.

Edited by Steven