Light-O-Rama Forums

Assign different preview does not detect changed prop names

Red Lily Way Christmas

I have a mini tree line of eight trees 4 colors on each.  I'm changing the channel assignments to make it easier to understand the wiring (this is for me).   I'm using a copy of the preview used in a sequence.

I open the sequence, and assign a different preview, but the program does not detect the channel assignment changes.

So ok, I thought, I will change the prop names and it will then catch it.   However, that does not get recognized either.

I did not say any of the auto match by name, or channel.

The result is effects on channels not intended for them.

There is not much information in the documentation or the program when assigning different previews.  So I do not know what the internal algorithm looks like.

Any tricks to get this process to recognize this change so I can make the assignments?

Your message should be in the LOR S6 Software Suite forum.

When assigning a different preview, the algorithm uses the ID of the prop. If this is a totally new preview, then you could click the "auto match by name" button if that's what you want.

It sounds like your "new preview" is not really a new preview, but is a new version of an existing preview. In other words, you will never be switching back to the previous preview because it has the same props, they are just wired differently. If you modify (not delete and add) the existing props in your preview, then any new sequence you open with that preview will automatically use the new channel assignments. This saves a bunch of time.

If you have already spent a bunch of time making a new preview, then it may not be worth it to change it in this way.

• Thanks 1

Though it was a new preview (a copy) where I made the changes in.  Then in the sequence assigned this new preview.   I did understand I did not have to do it this way to pick up the new wiring as you described.  I was more interested in understanding how assigning different previews worked.   Should have this process noticed these changes?

I just ran a test with simple previews. Here is what I found:

A prop has several attributes including name, channel, shape, type, but the thing that makes it unique is its "id", for example I created a bulb in one preview and it has this id:

id="b99a7e5d-5d00-4e04-8bec-b8f2d053f2e4"

Next, I found that when you edit a prop and change its name, channel, whatever, it will keep the same id.

When you copy a preview (by right-clicking and selecting "Copy") that the props inside that preview keep the same ids.

When you assign a different preview to a sequence props with the same ids in the new preview are automatically assigned, with no prompting. However if the prop in the old preview is a Traditional prop, and the same prop (because it has the same id) in the new preview is a pixel prop, then you will lose all channel sequencing that prop had. If you change a traditional prop to a dumb RGB prop, then strange things happen to the events. They will show as INTENSITY 100%, if that's the way they were before, but the R,G,B values will all be 0. I think you may be running into a similar issue. It could be a bug. I would open a ticket and send the 2 exported previews from the old one and the new one.

• Thanks 1