Light-O-Rama Forums

Get S6 Now.

Box on Rails

For those of you out there sill using S5 or S4, That's so 2023. 😆 Stop what you're doing. and after reading this make the upgrade NOW, especially if you have added RGB props to your show. This will give you 8 to 10 months to get Familiar with it. The best part for you is we are all here to help with any questions. Don't wait till later in the year to make the upgrade. Do it now. In addition to the help you can get here. Luminous Harmony https://www.youtube.com/@LuminousHarmony has a wonderful library of tutorial videos on S6. Every year This happens where the user finally makes the decision to upgrade at the last minute and then end up in a panic when things get a little overwhelming. S6 is a very powerful software program that makes sequencing and show playing so easy but it does take a bit of time to get a good understanding of it. The LOR Community Zoom room is another place for getting good info and questions answered. up coming help events will be listed here https://forums.lightorama.com/events/. I Hope this helps some of you on the fence about upgrading to come over to S6. You won't regret it. 

Kenny Jure

• Like 2

Absolutely!  NOW is the time to year to make that upgrade - especially if moving from S4.

• Like 1

And remember. You can't have both S4 and S6 installed on the same machine.

10 minutes ago, Don said:

Anyone think I should do a webinar on converting from S4 to S6?

Yes.

1 hour ago, Don said:

Anyone think I should do a webinar on converting from S4 to S6?

I think that might help a lot of people this year. The further we get away from S4 and S5 the more a Webinar and tutorials are gong to be needed. Thanks Don.

yes do the webinar i think that would be very helpful i'm using s4 would like to see what it has to offer thank you  

As someone who started with 1.0, still has a lot of AC channels, and didn't move to S5 until 2022 (and S6 last season) it's really worth your time, effort, and any upgrade license fee required.

Sequencing AC channels with motion effects is pretty slick (and of course pixels with motion effects is even better)

As a recent "convertee", I'd also recommend moving from S4 to S6.  I have a mix of AC led controllers and some pixel props.  I ran S4 for my 2022 show.  I switched to S6 in the early spring (after making good back up copies of all the S4 sequences).  I used the Luminous Harmony videos in the original post which made the transition MUCH easier.  Once I had the basic Preview built for my display, everything seemed to fall in place.  The Preview link while working in Sequencer is so much easier and provides a smoother look of the real display than I was ever able to see in S4.  If you have (or planning on adding) any pixel based props, this is even more of a major upgrade.  Definitely worth a little effort for the transition.

3 hours ago, Tim Fischer said:

Sequencing AC channels with motion effects is pretty slick (and of course pixels with motion effects is even better)

Since you started with 1.0, how do you not have a large number of version 1 controllers that won't work on an ELOR network and thus can't use motion effects?

14 hours ago, Steven said:

Since you started with 1.0, how do you not have a large number of version 1 controllers that won't work on an ELOR network and thus can't use motion effects?

Because Gen 1 controllers work perfectly well with motion effects when being controlled by DMX.

As of the 2023 season, I'm running 100% of my show (AC, RGB, and pixels) with E1.31. Motion effects work awesome across the board.

1 hour ago, Tim Fischer said:

Because Gen 1 controllers work perfectly well with motion effects when being controlled by DMX.

As of the 2023 season, I'm running 100% of my show (AC, RGB, and pixels) with E1.31. Motion effects work awesome across the board.

I understand.

I'm not willing to give up the perfect shimmer effect that LOR controllers do. Albeit, I haven't tried it with DMX for many years.

And, I would need to get some Wi-Fi equipment to connect to the houses on the other side of the street.

I rarely use shimmer. I haven't noticed it being different even but I haven't looked for it. 

All my pixels and RGB stuff has been DMX/E1.31 for over a decade anyway. So it was just the AC channels (about 150) that finally came along. Motion effects are a game changer, especially when sequencing a line of props though. Things I used to do by hand tediously now take a few minutes.

• Like 1

For those of us who don't use the software 12 months of the year I would make the switch more towards late spring and beginning of summer. Why? Because if I do it now and then put it away (and all my controllers are put away now), I'll probably forget over half of what I learned on the upgrade once I bring it back up. So that gives you plenty of time to make instructional videos in my opinion 😁.

Right now I haven't seen the need to move from V5 other than to keep current as I use a director to run the shows. V5 has been solid. Just like I have had no reason to move to Windows 11, 10 is solid and all my other apps work well. I guess I will evaluate again in June/July when I start cleaning off the dust and cobwebs.

S5 to S6 is a fairly minor move.  S4 to S6 is a major move because there are large design concept changes.  If you are moving from S4, start now.  That will give more time to figure it all out.

• Like 1