Light-O-Rama Forums

Want to Grow our Show

Claire Drive Atlanta

Not sure if this post belongs in "Newbies," as we've been running a basic 16-channel show for 4 years, and I have built a handful of sequences from scratch.  But beyond that, I am not well-versed in more complex setups.  So here goes...

While we have added songs/sequences every year to keep our show fresh, we'd really like to add some RGB displays next year.  It's a small front yard, so we are thinking one pixel-based tree and maybe some snowflakes or mini arches.  I've looked at a bunch of the videos, and I think I have a pretty good idea of what I need to buy to make this happen.  But I have a couple of questions: 

1) Will one RGB controller work for a pixel tree AND the snowflakes/mini-arches?  Or will I need to buy two RGB controllers? 

2) Also, I am not sure how this will all tie in to my existing non-RGB controller.  Can I daisy chain off of my existing controller into an RGB controller, or would I need a separate USB connection and Cat5 cable to run from my computer to the RGB controller(s)?   

3) Does anyone have advice on whether to buy a white-wire pixel tree or one with black wires?

Once I have the equipment I need, I can figure out getting the software and sequences going.  I just don't want to wind up in a position where I am missing a necessary piece of equipment when it's time to set everything up.

Thank you in advance for your time!

1) It will depend on the size of the tree and the number of snowflakes and arches you want but you will probably need more then one.

2) If you stay with LOR controllers you can daisy chain them together.

3)Dark wires are better at night if you don't won't to see them.

Keep in mind that getting into pixels will mean a huge channel jump from your 16 channel controller, you will need to purchase a new license and I would highly recommend a Pro license.

Edited by Mr. P

Pixels need Pro and enhanced mode and should be on a HS (High speed adapter (formerly Red).

If your AC controller is a Gen3 (green LED), it could daisy chain... But if you are getting into pixels, you might as well grow another network. it is just more CAT5

OK time to talk like real estate: Location, location, Location. (of all those smart props).  They really don't like long cables from the controller. You are running at 12V (or 5, which is even more fussy) and need to deal with voltage drop on long runs or high count strings.  Trees are usually on the lawn. Snowflakes, on the house or fence.  Count PORTS (~100 node each is easy without extra steps) needed in each area.

That gives you the idea of what model(s) A Pixie2 (only 12V) can do 200 nodes. Depending on what type of tree, you could be any size Pixie 2,4,8,16

Thank you all!  Great food for thought!