Light-O-Rama Forums

Smart hardware

AllAmericanJock

Does anyone know if LOR is going to make any type of smart hardware or something like a smart director. Would love to see something that could be controlled through my phone. 

LOR already has an App that you can use with S6. 

If you've used it, what more would you want the app to do?

I know the OP mentioned a Smart Director, and in this age of our current technology and AI home based smart bulbs, smart switches, smart TV's, smart plugs/outlets and security cameras I'd think a "Smart Director" would be possible.

A "smart Director" should be able to allow one to use a phone app to start/stop a show WITHOUT having to go pull the SD Card, and to RESTART the show from where it was stopped, instead of starting over from the beginning.

It would also allow one to choose which sequence(song) to play and, again, resume the show with the next sequence (song) in the show.

It should also be able to have the Director time set from the phone app.  A date option should also be added to the "smart Director", so a show for a specific date and time would only play on that date.

Setting the time on the SD Card I find to actually be quite useless, as it is ALWAYS OFF, usually by 2 to 3 minutes +/-1 minute.  I have NEVER gotten mine to the exact time with with my computer time using the SD Card to change the time.  I always have to run a very long cat5 cable from my computer USB RS-485B adapter to the Director outside every time we change the time from Standard or DST.  Would be great to do it wirelessly via a phone app.

So, yes, I agree, why not make a smart Director that could have a lot more features and options?

It would sure beat having to go outside in icy cold weather, or wait for a rainstorm to stop to pull the SD Card to make changes.  

The "smart Director" should be able to allow shows, edits or modifications to a show, or a single sequence or sequences to be written on the fly, just like using a computer to do it.

Just my thoughts on this, what LOR decides to do, or make is entirely their perogative, but maybe this might give them some food for thought for the next generation of Director units for those that prefer them.

Edited by Orville
Correct sentences missing words, misspellings, punctuation, you know, typo's!🙄😆.

Granted, I'm not an expert here, but I would imagine some of the features you mentioned would require an operating system a bit more advanced than the one they have on there now. Add in the extra hardware to add internet connectivity to the board either via wifi or ethernet, and the cost would go up. The N4G4 is $299. You can get Mini-PC's with Windows 11 on them for $370 if you look in the right places. Mount it in a outdoor rated enclosure, and you've got a much more powerful director at your disposal.

23 minutes ago, Don said:

Granted, I'm not an expert here, but I would imagine some of the features you mentioned would require an operating system a bit more advanced than the one they have on there now. Add in the extra hardware to add internet connectivity to the board either via wifi or ethernet, and the cost would go up. The N4G4 is $299. You can get Mini-PC's with Windows 11 on them for $370 if you look in the right places. Mount it in a outdoor rated enclosure, and you've got a much more powerful director at your disposal.

I totally agree... find a way to run it from a PC.

On the other hand, "the other guys" all use FPP, which is run on a Pi or a Beaglebone and does (or at least could do) everything the OP is asking for. Sometimes I wonder if LOR would do better to adopt some of this free architecture and support it, rather than try to compete with a free product.

7 hours ago, Don said:

True, but my point was more or less, NOT having to go outside to make changes.  But I suppose using a laptop could be viable sending the upgraded sequences over a wifi network to the laptop.

Hmm, you've got me thinking of how to use an older laptop I have here just collecting dust.  Going to have to play around with it, and see what I might be able to do with it regarding LOR use.

Thanks Don, you gave me some ideas to try and see how it all works out.  Going to have to buy a few more USB RS485 adapters now to get this project going, as well as find a very large weatherproof lock box to house everything in, since it will be outside 24/7/365.

Edited by Orville

Are you not able to run a cord out a window or some such?

5 minutes ago, Tim Fischer said:

Are you not able to run a cord out a window or some such?

Nope.  Tried that and the type windows I have always cuts into and damages anything under them when they need to be closed.

Same issure when attempting to run under a door.

No garage or carport, no covered porches, so, this is my main reason for using a Director.  Everything has to be outside in all weather conditions.