Light-O-Rama Forums

The power of Motion Effects

Box on Rails

Happy new year everyone. My son asked me if I could put together a Spongebob Christmas sequence for next years show. He grew up watching Spongebob as well as I. So I just want to show all my friends out there just how capable animation is using Custom Motion effects rows. In this test Video I have 6 different Characters all made using Custom ME rows. I will be using 3 50x50 matrixes in the 2024 show and here is the the preview animation of just the 3 Matrix so far. I love the power of Motion effects rows. 

26 minutes ago, Box on Rails said:

Happy new year everyone. My son asked me if I could put together a Spongebob Christmas sequence for next years show. He grew up watching Spongebob as well as I. So I just want to show all my friends out there just how capable animation is using Custom Motion effects rows. In this test Video I have 6 different Characters all made using Custom ME rows. I will be using 3 50x50 matrixes in the 2024 show and here is the the preview animation of just the 3 Matrix so far. I love the power of Motion effects rows. 

That's how I used to do my faces on my matrix. Motion rows work great for that and you can use any face sequence out there for the mouth movements and it works perfectly!

• Like 1

Could one of you elaborate on what you mean  by motion effect rows? I don't quite get what you are doing.

Are you using jpeg files with each of the expressions and turning then on or off?

Importing videos?

Thanks

12 minutes ago, stevehoyt said:

Could one of you elaborate on what you mean  by motion effect rows? I don't quite get what you are doing.

Are you using jpeg files with each of the expressions and turning then on or off?

Importing videos?

Thanks

Basically it's a JPG per each of the 5 mouth movent. If you do 5 of them correctly, you can use any of the 5 mouth movement sequences out there. I had Elsa from Frozen singing Down with the Sickness, then swapped it to Santa, and then Dracula. I forgot about all that till Box on Rails posted the video. I think Kenny uses a lot more than 5 though. So his would truly be custom.

You have 5 motion rows for the mouth.

Top Lip, Mid Lip, Bottom Lip, O, and Ah

Each of those would contain the JPG of that mouth movement. I used the standard ones from Papogayo.

The 6 motion row would be the face with no mouth. As the above motion rows would fill that in.

You could also add more rows to change the way the eyes move, etc.

47 minutes ago, stevehoyt said:

Importing videos?

Thanks

I do not use image (jpeg) files for mine. I create these images completely using CUSTOM motion effects rows. Lets Take the SpongeBob animation. The yellow body of SpongeBob has 10 different Motion effects rows that I create for each mouth position. then there is another 10 ME rows for the white teeth. then the red cheeks have another 3 ME Rows then the Tongue has 4 more ME rows. and finally the eyes have 12 more ME rows for the Open, Closed, half open and half closed positions. This might sound like a lot of work but it's not at all. and even it it was, it is defiantly worth it. I have found that Image files loose a lot of clarity with there only being a 50x50 resolution. so I create my own images solely in the Custom ME rows. IT looks so much clearer on the actual matrix output then any image file does. If you want I can send you a copy of this file and you can look at how it works. It is a S6 sequence file so let me know you email here or in a DM and I'll get it to you. 

Kenny Jure

52 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

Basically it's a JPG per each of the 5 mouth movent. If you do 5 of them correctly, you can use any of the 5 mouth movement sequences out there. I had Elsa from Frozen singing Down with the Sickness, then swapped it to Santa, and then Dracula. I forgot about all that till Box on Rails posted the video. I think Kenny uses a lot more than 5 though. So his would truly be custom.

You have 5 motion rows for the mouth.

Top Lip, Mid Lip, Bottom Lip, O, and Ah

Each of those would contain the JPG of that mouth movement. I used the standard ones from Papogayo.

The 6 motion row would be the face with no mouth. As the above motion rows would fill that in.

You could also add more rows to change the way the eyes move, etc.

Nope.. not one of these animations are an image. Do I have your email? If I do I'll send you a copy of this files and audio so you can see how it is done If you want.

32 minutes ago, Box on Rails said:

Nope.. not one of these animations are an image. Do I have your email? If I do I'll send you a copy of this files and audio so you can see how it is done If you want.

I sent you a message. I think I kind of know maybe how you are doing those but please send me a copy. Thank you

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Box on Rails said:

Now that's even more interesting. Mine was done with images and worked much like yours. I will shoot you a PM.

• Like 1

Kenny uses sub-models from the main prop. That man has some mad artistic skills! Very impressive for sure.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

Kenny uses sub-models from the main prop. That man has some mad artistic skills! Very impressive for sure.

Thanks. Is that what you would call each Custom Motion Effects Row? a Sub-model? Thanks for that little piece of important Info. probably the best tool in my toolbox for doing this is the Piskel program. I use it to convert standard image files into 50x50 pixel files. here is the before and after. once I get the 50x50 grid I just set up ME rows using this picture as the map.

Kenny Jure

AI.png

SW AI.png

Edited by Box on Rails