Light-O-Rama Forums

Dumb Question Time - Shrink Prop Option

gsmith37064

I was playing around with a prop in the preview editor. It's a custom prop.

I clicked the customize light placement and it brings up the grid for your pixel strings.

I clicked the grid icon drop down and select shrink 50%.

it shrunk the model and it looked good. I thought everything was great.

Buuuuuttt.... When you play the sequence, the prop is all garbled up. It's like its missing pixels all over the prop. It looks like crap.

Any idea why? The prop looks perfect.

NOTE: I am using motion rows for the custom prop

Edited by gsmith37064

If you change the preview and shrink after the sequence has already been created, make sure to go into the prop in the sequence's view of Motion Effect Rows and "Merge Defaults" from what you just changed in the preview.

1 minute ago, Aubrey said:

make sure to go into the prop in the sequence's view of Motion Effect Rows and "Merge Defaults" from what you just changed in the preview.

I still don't know why this cannot be done automatically since default ME rows are defined as part of the preview . The idea of creating a preview upfront is so that each sequence can get auto updated with channel settings, etc. I get that you can create ME rows in a sequence as well, but its very tedious to update all your sequences if you adjust the default ME rows in the preview.

4 minutes ago, Aubrey said:

If you change the preview and shrink after the sequence has already been created, make sure to go into the prop in the sequence's view of Motion Effect Rows and "Merge Defaults" from what you just changed in the preview.

Dang... that's it? I am afraid to do it again. Took me a bit to piece back 4 sequences.

15 minutes ago, Aubrey said:

It worked!! After i broke it, I should have posted first before repairing everything. This is a lot quicker!

Thanks so much for the solution!!

Props 3 and 4 did not work as instructed. The merge command added 42 motion rows instead of updating them.

I also had to close out of the sequence and come back in for those 2 props to work correctly. Very strange on those two, but the sequence now loads MUCH quicker. Which was my goal.

Man... I do not recommend this. If your sequences happen to be on different versions, you will spend A LOT of time repairing the props... again.

This is not a seamless process and requires a lot of manual touching. What a freaking pain!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If your rows were created in the preview as defaults originally, this should have worked really easily. It sounds like you might have had some custom ones made per sequence. :/

1 hour ago, Aubrey said:

If your rows were created in the preview as defaults originally, this should have worked really easily. It sounds like you might have had some custom ones made per sequence. :/

I wish that was the case.

All my motion rows where created in the preview editor. When I add one - it's always in the preview editor and then I merge it via sequence editor.

Prop 1 always works perfectly. Props 3-4 are my headaches for some reason.

Pros 3-4 are copies of Prop 1 so there should not be any differences.

@gsmith37064, not sure if this is related to what you are seeing, but I ran into issues last year that caused merge defaults to not work due to a previous bug. With the bug fixed, I still ran into it because the internal identifier was still wrong, so I had to recreate them. It's still tedious to update props even with the merge defaults, especially if you happen to have multiple of those same props. It would be nice if there was at least a way to do that en masse for the entire sequence but I still think it could just be done automatically.

https://www1.lightorama.com/help/whats_new.htm
Version 6.2.0 
Bug fix: After copying a prop or group in Preview Design, the default motion rows for the new prop or group did not have the correct internal identifier. This in turn caused merging motion effect rows in a sequence to produce duplicate motion rows.

• Thanks 1

Its really unfortunate the bug for copying props got out because the internal identifier can't really be auto-corrected without additional issues. Instead your stuck wondering why motion effect rows keep duplicating when you merge defaults. I think I just recreated the prop from scratch to get past the issue.

16 minutes ago, Jeremiah Ackermann said:

@gsmith37064, not sure if this is related to what you are seeing, but I ran into issues last year that caused merge defaults to not work due to a previous bug. With the bug fixed, I still ran into it because the internal identifier was still wrong, so I had to recreate them. It's still tedious to update props even with the merge defaults, especially if you happen to have multiple of those same props. It would be nice if there was at least a way to do that en masse for the entire sequence but I still think it could just be done automatically.

https://www1.lightorama.com/help/whats_new.htm
Version 6.2.0 
Bug fix: After copying a prop or group in Preview Design, the default motion rows for the new prop or group did not have the correct internal identifier. This in turn caused merging motion effect rows in a sequence to produce duplicate motion rows.

Hey Jeremiah,

That bug fix does not seem to have worked. That is the exact issue I am having today and I am on v6.2.18. This was not much of an issue till i decided to shrink the props. Then everything went south.

But I think I am back and stable... knock on wood :)

Read my second comment… even though the copy bug is fixed, the bad data is not fixed. So you keep running into the bug until you recreate all the bad props.

Edited by Jeremiah Ackermann

6 minutes ago, Jeremiah Ackermann said:

Read my second comment… even the bug is fixed, the bad data is not. So you keep running into the bug.

It's not actually fixed for people that have bad data then. It's not worth redoing the props to be honest as I think I am good on the number of motion rows in the props.

I wish I would not have messed with the shrink command as I was moving right along with only a little annoying merge issue. At least now I know not to touch anything lol

Edited by gsmith37064

12 minutes ago, Jeremiah Ackermann said:

Read my second comment… even the bug is fixed, the bad data is not. So you keep running into the bug.

Any thoughts on how to fix the bad data in the loredit file?

5 minutes ago, gsmith37064 said:

the bad data in the loredit file

The bad data is actually in the preview file and in the sequences (copied to sequence when it was created).

I think recreating the prop is the easiest and less error prone, even though it’s tedious since you will need to migrate each sequence you created. But at least new sequences you create won’t have the bad data anymore.

In theory you could create new GUIDs (internal identifier) and hand edit the internals of the preview and sequence files, but you can easily mess it up.

Edited by Jeremiah Ackermann

3 minutes ago, Jeremiah Ackermann said:

The bad data is actually in the preview file and in the sequences (copied to sequence when it was created).

I think recreating the prop is the easiest and less error prone, even though it’s tedious since you will need to migrate each sequence you created. But at least new sequences you create won’t have the bad data anymore.

In theory you could create new GUIDs (internal identifier) and hand edit the internals of the preview and sequence files, but you can easily mess it up.

I only have 4 songs done with the new props. But after today's fiasco, I am not touching them anymore. The prop has 42 motion rows. I don't think I can come up with more so hopefully I am good with the way things are.

I do appreciate you shedding some light on the issue though.

the way to solve the issue with old motion effect rows.... Is Cut (Ctrl+X) the sequenced rows > right click the Prop > manage motion effect rows > delete all motion rows > then merge Defaults and Save > paste back the sequenced rows (Ctrl+V)...

I would also remove the Copied Prop(s) if in the Preview Prior to the Fix and just recreate them - so each Prop and Motion Effect Row get is own identifier

Edited by Jimehc

9 minutes ago, Jimehc said:

Is Cut (Ctrl+X) the sequenced rows > right click the Prop > manage motion effect rows > delete all motion rows > then merge Defaults and Save > paste back the sequenced rows (Ctrl+V)...

This is how I fixed them the 2nd go around once I figured out what was going on.