Light-O-Rama Forums

Pickup truck plows thru my display

Wayne K

I was sitting in the front room last night watching the great Christmas light fight show and at about 10:33 I heard a hell of a noise outside. I got up and rushed to the front door to see the front half of my display was all over the street and sidewalk. as I looked farther to the north I see a pickup truck in the front of beauty shop next to me and hear him revving the motor up trying to move the truck. Good thing they had big landscape rocks in the front, as that stopped him and he set on top of one of them was just spinning his wheel's. This has been amazing in my small town. I don't do face book, but it sounds like news traveled like wild fire on there. One of the TV stations came out and done a report. They ended up taking the guy to jail. Here is the link to the story.

https://www.21alivenews.com/2023/12/04/mad-upset-man-rebuilding-churubusco-christmas-display-following-vandalism/

Edited by Wayne K
  • Sad 1

Wayne had the same thing happen to me about 12 years ago arches, blow molds 10,mini trees, cords and two boxes never caught them about $ 700.00 

It certainly helps with the financial part of it, but how many hours of Wayne's time will this cost?

Time is the problem, I work a full time job, so it is after work and weekend stuff. I did tell them I was going to take some vacations days next week and see what I can get going. The big problem is with the electrical. I had harnesses made up for the different elements and it got all of them. I had an insurance adjuster here yesterday and he looked things over and I told him that everything from this point out was junk and not usable. he proceeds to say some of those cords are probably ok and I replied back and said all one of them needs is a small punture in there that you can't see and then I have GFI problems. His standard saying was get me estimates. I finally said I am starting to order stuff and I am ordering stuff before I take time to get estimates on stuff. I didn't know about the gofund me thing until the tv station told me about it. That is power in the community and tells me people like the display. It totaly blowed my mind what it got up to.

He is still in jail awaiting and I think the court date is Thursday and I suspect he won't be leaving anytime soon. And the sad part of it is that he lives on the other side of my street and the next block down.

Wayne

Wow!such a shame,  I truly don't think people have a clue, what in involved both financially and physically to set things up. I did this for the first time this year. I spent about 13 months on setting up props controllers, sequences etc. I love the reactions and joy it has provided. I feel very sad for you and your community. 

• Like 1

Nit pick'n claims agent.

Hire all the work and materials done. (just love how YOUR efforts are of no value when claims time comes 😡)

Have a video ready of it working and that is the required target to call the claim satisfied.

If needed, let on that you know folk who can spell Lawyer.

you will have to have receipts for every thing from the day you bought them  and replacement cost is another sticker  %%%%%  been there,  don't know what insurance is like in the US, hope you recover cost, time spent does not count

Wayne i have 6 HDPE  archs    with 2811 strips  if you want them you can have them  .     email  lafffamily@comcast.net     Burbank Il   not to far from you    Good luck Dennis

Thanks guys for the thoughts and info. I have gotten a lot of stuff ordered and awaiting on it to get here. I keep a lot of extra led strings, wire, plugs, etc for small repairs or change outs, but not enough for this repair. Any how we are plugging away at getting things done. Cleaned the yard up last night.

14 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

Wayne i have 6 HDPE  archs    with 2811 strips  if you want them you can have them  .     email  lafffamily@comcast.net     Burbank Il   not to far from you    Good luck Dennis

Thanks for the offer Dennis, I greatly appreciate it. But I already have 2 new arches built and will have stuff to do the other 3 later today.

Wayne

Sorry to hear you have to go through a major rebuild due to someone else's negligence. From the short clips in the news video, it looks like you have quite the display! Hope you can rebuild and post some 2023 videos.